Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify and canberra-gtk-module (Manjaro / Archlinux)

Spotify and canberra-gtk-module (Manjaro / Archlinux)

Hello,

since today I get this error when sarting spotify:

$ spotify

Gtk-Message: 22:00:27.553: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Gtk-Message: 22:00:27.553: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

• I did nothing changed since last time it worked
  • Spotify Version from Snap: 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15
  • Package from AUR is a outdated version of Spotify
  • Things I tried: pacman -Syu and reinstall Spotify

Any Ideas? It is strange that it happened out of nothing - it worked before!

14 Replies

Hey, why no help for me?

That's just a warning it can be ignored.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libcanberra

Its not just a Warning because Spotify does not start!

Then install the package mentioned in the wiki...

It is obviously a bug in Spotify because I have libcanberra installed and gtk, yet it complains. Also this happened after I did an update on the system.

Yep, just add to the long list of bugs...

I have a similar problem on fedora 32 running the snap from user:

WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
Warning: GTK2 does not support Wayland!
Gtk-Message: 15:36:24.686: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 15:36:24.686: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

And from superuser:

2020/05/31 15:41:19.485743 cmd_run.go:893: WARNING: cannot start document portal: read unix @->/run/user/1000/bus: read: connection reset by peer
WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
Gtk-Message: 15:41:22.573: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 15:41:22.574: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"

(spotify:24838): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 15:41:22.749: g_dbus_connection_send_message: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

It loops the last bit until I kill the process. It used to work.

After some tinkering, it appears the snap uses GTK+2, which is not fully compatible with wayland. This seems to be the source of my problem. I think we need spotify to rebuild it for GTK+3.

It works for me when starting it with "sudo spotify"

I've been facing similar problem lately with the snap package. Try installing it using Debian package if it's an option that you can consider. 

I've been facing similar problem lately with the snap package. Try installing it using Debian package if it's an option that you can consider. 

installing libcanberra-gstreamer seems to work (from wiki)

I found two solutions for those who can't get the snaps to work on a machine that uses rpms. First, it is possible to find the debian package at http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/  . After installing, use alien to convert it to an rpm. Then do a yum localinstall. It will probably not work immediately, and will give a number of dependencies that you will need. Find the deb packages for the dependencies and convert them to rpms and localinstall. It should work if you get all the dependencies.

The other way is to install a repo that has done this for you. Just run

dnf -y install https://github.com/UnitedRPMs/unitedrpms/releases/download/17/unitedrpms-$(rpm -E %fedora)-17.fc$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

then

dnf install spotify-client

I recommend this second method, because spotify will auto-update from the repo when you run,

yum update

whereas if you use the other method, you will have to reconvert the deb packages to rpms when your packages become too old.

Don't give administrative rights, especially to closed source applications!!

Suggested posts