Operating System

Arch Linux (5.5.9-arch1-2)

Spotify (snap info)

version: spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15

revision: 41

My Question or Issue

Spotify will not start, gives this error:

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Let me know what other info I can give. I did a system update yesterday, which might explain the issue.

13 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Spotify crashes on startup (Arch linux)

Hey there @hwebster

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This will make sure you get a fresh copy of the latest app version.

Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
Highlighted

Visitor
I have the same problem
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.6.0-2-MANJARO
Spotify (snap info)
version: spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15
revision: 41
My Question or Issue
Spotify will not start, gives this error:
Trace / breakpoint trap (core dumped)
"Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This will make sure you get a fresh copy of the latest app version."
I did what you mentioned and still the error persists.
Highlighted

Casual Listener
Hi Ivan, thanks for the response.

After clean reinstall and reboot I am still having the same issue.

I don't have any other Linux machines to test on but I can get into Spotify through the web player and on iOS fine.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hi,

it also happens for me. Here is the log:

> spotify --show-console
Warning: GTK2 does not support Wayland!
08:46:56.028 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:116 ] Access allowance changed from online: 0 stream: 0, sync: 0, persistent conn: 0 to online: 1 stream: 1, sync: 0, persistent conn: 1
08:46:56.043 I [network_controller.cpp:76 ] Connectivity policy is initially allow_all
08:46:56.044 I [network_controller.cpp:78 ] Connection type is initially unknown
08:46:56.044 I [network_controller.cpp:96 ] Enabling all persistent connections
08:46:56.060 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:286 ] Connectivity rules changed from network: 1 (roaming: 0), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0 to network: 1 (roaming: 1), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0
08:46:56.060 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:134 ] Scheduling emission of signal.
08:46:56.067 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:125 ] Emitting signal.
08:46:56.072 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:124 ] D-Bus name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' exists on the system bus
08:46:56.078 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:128 ] Notify subscribers on NetworkManager detection (current state is 'NM_STATE_CONNECTED_GLOBAL')
08:46:56.078 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:180 ] Successfully connected to 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager'
fish: “spotify --show-console” terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)

After downgrading Spotfiy via Snap tools, everything works again.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

PS: Thanks for your hard work, i use spotify nearly daily on my linux pcs ^^

Highlighted

Casual Listener

May I ask how you downgraded versions?

I get a similar error:

17:22:08.479 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:116 ] Access allowance changed from online: 0 stream: 0, sync: 0, persistent conn: 0 to online: 1 stream: 1, sync: 0, persistent conn: 1
17:22:08.480 I [network_controller.cpp:76 ] Connectivity policy is initially allow_all
17:22:08.480 I [network_controller.cpp:78 ] Connection type is initially unknown
17:22:08.480 I [network_controller.cpp:96 ] Enabling all persistent connections
17:22:08.481 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:286 ] Connectivity rules changed from network: 1 (roaming: 0), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0 to network: 1 (roaming: 1), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0
17:22:08.481 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:134 ] Scheduling emission of signal.
17:22:08.481 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:125 ] Emitting signal.

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Highlighted

Casual Listener

If you're using snap its:

sudo snap revert spotify

with that it reverts to the version before the update ^^

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I had the same problem, the app doesn't work, but installing it from the AUR seems to work
Highlighted

Roadie

Ivan, are you a Linux user? I ask because I have yet to see you offer any sort useful answer or help... I'm starting to wonder if you're not a bot?

Anyway. This may be a duplicate of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/App-is-not-opening/m-p/4916043

If so you will find a solution.

Highlighted

Casual Listener
yeah, there is sth goofy with the snap image ^^v
SUGGESTED POSTS