Plan

Free

Device

Dell Inspiron 7560

Operating System

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Spotify client installed via APT

My Question or Issue

Straightforward: When I try adding a source for a local file in the Spotify client it opens up a pop-up window, and then freezes for some time then crashes (closes). A popup appears saying Ubuntu experienced an internal error. Please help (see video)

Also, install Spotify via snap or Ubuntu software doesn't help. I'm anti-Snap/ and i will not install the client via either.

12 Replies

I have the same issue as well and sometimes when I am connected to my vpn i receive error code 4 when my network works

exactly, the spotify linux client is very buggy please make it more consistent with the windows and macOS clients

Hey, I know this isn't the *best* solution but currently is the only one I can find.
You can use XFCE to change the thing that you want? Thats pretty much the only way I see it. Or just logging onto another pc and doing it there.

I'm too far gone...just finally having setup everything on GNOME, it's a shame because I pay a premium for Spotify and expect stability for Linux despite it working on everything else I own.

Yeah, It's dissapointing. I mean who hasn't gotten used to linux having absolutely 0 support. I've seen this issue at leaste 5 times yet nothing. Only answer rn is to use XFCE and fix the thing you want to do.

Shifted to Debian 10 (LMDE 4), still facing the same problem on Cinnamon.

What do you mean by uh 'change the thing you want'?

Same problem here, but I have the Snap package (I also would have preferred apt, but when I tried logging in with facebook it said the version was incompatible...)

My distro came with XFCE, so I was unaware of the issue where Spotify segfaults when you try to add local file source / change playlist image / anything that includes Spotify calling out your file browser.

Easiest workaround is using an older client such as 1.1.26 - you can get one from here.

If you use Facebook login, beware you won't be able to log in without creating your Spotify password first. See this article for more info.

A Reddit user u/Viirock has created a little site to change playlist covers, names and descriptions.

I currently don't know how to manipulate your way around adding local files though. : (

Hope this helps any of you!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

What are the disadvantages of using the older version? Like what does the newer version even offer?

@Rover0 

Honestly, there shouldn't be any major disadvantages, at least no immediate security issues.

What you get with newer versions are updated and added, sometimes retracted features. 🙂

But as long as you keep your account safe, using a slightly older Spotify app shouldn't really pose a risk.

(using a super-old client is not too great experience because features will stop working at some point, but that will mostly affect those that are on versions like 0.9.x)

I mean, we're all quite a few versions behind from those on Windows and Mac. : )

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same issue here, it occurs for both snap package and .deb
So sad

Suggested posts