Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify - discrimination for less "popular" music genera | Lyrics on Desktop client

Spotify - discrimination for less "popular" music genera | Lyrics on Desktop client

Dear Spotify community,

I am here today to address the crowd in regard of a very sensible topic, discrimination. Yes, discrimination, here my voice:

Everyone is well aware in our society to avoid people with long hair and dressed in black because they worship Satan and drink blood during Swedish coffè break.

However, being Spotify an agnostic music service that we pay, you would expect it to be "agnostic" per definition. They should not care what music you listen to, until you pay them.

Well Spotify, I pay you. However today i tried to display Lyrics for my new music discovery and here is the error message I got: (see attachment)

For those of you that do not speak Italian that translates into:

"We do not have the lyrics for that son, why don't you look for something more popular 😉

I understand that Spotify model as any other business model is built to reach out the masses and make as much money as possible squeezing them like grapes.

However, this kind of messaging it is insulting and discriminatory!

Instead of apologizing because your lyrics database is sh|t, you try to point out that my elitarian, refined music choices are too complex for the retarded masses you address your product to and instead, the source of the problem it is my music taste! 

You are basically telling me that, the fact that I am smarter than most of the people out there it is my problem and I should homologate to them rather than receiving a proper service for what I am paying for.

This kind of discriminatory language it is not well seen here in Sweden and you should be very aware about that, dear Spotify.

You are delivering a message of hate and, as a paying customer I demand you change this message into "We apologize but we do not have that lyrics in our repository because we can't source from better database"  (such as metal-archives.com or darklyrics )

In addition to that, I do work few meters away from your Stockholm office and I do know some of your best engineers are those kind of guys with long hairs and black clothes. So if you don't want me to come visit you at your fika break and unleash my army of unemployed lawyers I demand you to change your discriminatory messaging immediately (paying customers they do demand right?)

With best regards,

A paying customer.

1.PNG
2 Replies

the irony of it all is that most of the music they have lyrics for has words that the listener can feasibly comprehend.

As I understand it, those messages are actually coming from Musixmatch (http://www.musixmatch.com) as the lyrics option is really just an embedded version of the old Musixmatch app from when apps were supported in Spotify.

Do you always get the same message? I get a few different messageswhen I play songs where they don't have the lyrics. Some of these are complimentary:

"Clearly your music taste is better than ours"

Some are more apologetic in tone:

"Woops I forgot the lyrics to that song..."

And others are just surreal:

"Lady gaga borrowed our lyrics and is using them as a hat."

I've never actually seen a message which suggests that the music I am listening to is not popular enough. It's possible that this variety of messages hasn't been translated into all possible languages.

You can always register on the Musixmatch site and add lyrics for some of those songs. That way you will have those lyrics the next time you listen to them and you will also be helping out other people who listen to them.

Suggested posts