Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Linux is a misleading statement.

Spotify for Linux is a misleading statement.

I have searched the web for Spotify for Linux. Since your page refers to "Spotify for Linux" generalizing the Linux distro to be debian/Ubuntu is sad actually.

There are alot of distros out there that are Linux based. I am running the RedHat based Fedora system, and i use CentOS for my servers.

I cannot use spotify on my desktop because there is no Spotify for Fedora Linux.

Where is the support for actual linux distributions, and why have you left out the rest of the distributions ?

Br

Karl

5 Replies

Hey @karlheidar 

Check this tutorial on how to install Spotify on Fedora:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/installing-spotify/

https://snapcraft.io/install/spotify/centos

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is easily something that Spotify could should be providing in a script.

If you are in 64 bit land you can do the following:

Note: There's something weird about the server and it drops the connection near the end of the download so I'd highly recommend using wget and not downloading it via the browser.

Download the deb file like so (or in your browser https://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_1.1.56.595.g2d2d...

) :

$ wget https://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de_amd64.deb

extract the deb file using ar then extract the tar into a new folder:

$ ar x spotify-client_1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de_amd64.deb data.tar.gz
$ mkdir ~/spotify && tar -xvf data.tar.gz -C ~/spotify

Now you can browse to ~/spotify/usr/bin and run spotify but it makes more sense to move it into your /usr/local prefix. (and delete the old spotify directory)

$ sudo mv ~/spotify/usr/bin/* /usr/local/bin
$ sudo mv ~/spotify/usr/share/spotify /usr/local/share
$ rm -r ~/spotify

To create a desktop entry for Spotify that can be found in launchers create the file ~/.local/share/applications/spotify.desktop with the following contents:

[Desktop Entry]                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Encoding=UTF-8                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Version=1.0                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Type=Application                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Terminal=false                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Exec=/usr/local/bin/spotify                                                                                                                                                                                        
Name=Spotify                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Icon=/usr/local/share/spotify/icons/spotify-linux-64.png 

You can do this without moving things to /usr/local if you'd like by changing the exec and icon lines to be

Exec=/home/<user name>/spotify/usr/bin/spotify
Icon=/home/<user name>/spotify/usr/share/spotify/icons/spotify-linux-64.png

putting your user name where indicated.

edit: pointed to the latest linux binary

Providing an official flatpak version alongside snap would be nice to have.

They also provide a snap, which runs in many distros, including fedora (I'm running it in 31 right now).

It would be nice to also have a flatpak but honestly it works fine 99% of the time, and even if it was ubuntu only I would be glad that it at least has some linux support.

Suggested posts