Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify launches from terminal but not from launcher icon ( Ubuntu 16.04)

Spotify launches from terminal but not from launcher icon ( Ubuntu 16.04)

As in the title, I can start spotify perfectly fine if i lauch it from the terminal, however if I try launch by clicking on the icon I have locked to the launcher, it flashes for about 20 seconds then nothing happens.

It seems to occasionally fix itself after a restart and a system update every now and then, but the the problem comes back.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

3 Replies

Hi @1240236068, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Another user went through a similar issue and was able to solve it:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-doesn-t-start-after-upgrad...

Let me know if this helps!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I had already found that article and have tried reinstalling Spotify twice by using sudo apt-get purge spotify-client, along with clearing .config/spotify and still no luck.

I see that people are soft linking a particular library which apparently helps them, but I'm not getting any error messages.

Especially as it will start spotify if I run the executable from the terminal.

Thanks.

I see...

In this case then I suggest you get in touch with the Spotify staff - simply drop them a line on social media (Twitter or Facebook) or by using the contact form. Make sure, if you use the latter, to reply to the automated email you'll receive directing you back to the help pages, even if it's from a no-reply.

Support usually gets back within a day or two.

Hope this was more helpful!

Have a great day,

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts