Premium

Country

United States 

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Ubuntu Linux 18.04.1 LTS

My Question or Issue

The desktop audio player, along with several other audio players, randomly mute, but not so randomly, it happens whenever a system alert sound plays. Thanks to this topic:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Spotify-mutes-when-terminal-issues-a-bip/td-p/4494904

I already found a solution, but I'm adding more to the topic, in case anyone finds this, since the other topic is already locked.

You don't need to reboot after making the change to /etc/pulse/default.pa, where you need to comment out the line that loads the module named module-role-cork.

You can issue the following command, without even using sudo, to unload it from the running instance of PulseAudio, so it takes effect immediately:

pactl unload-module module-role-cork

It's supposed to "stick a cork" in your streaming audio or video, whenever a communications audio stream starts playing. Unfortunately, it seems that all system notification sounds have the same stream identification, so they mute everything as well. What a shame.

7 Replies

I logged on to say thank you brother! I am on Manjaro and this solved this annoying issue for me.

@MakaCervo wrote:

I logged on to say thank you brother!

I did exactly that! 👆

Thanks @kode54, this solved my problem 🎉

damn this worked thank you so much!

this actually worked, thanks!

Thank you so much!!! 2023 and this keep happening...

thanks for the very complete help!

Did the trick with ubuntu 22.04 in 2023.  Thanks!  🎶

Suggested posts