Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not connecting through proxy

Spotify not connecting through proxy

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

My Issue :

I am a long time Spotify user and recently I switched to Linux and because of the company policy we should use proxy to connect to the internet.

I tried HTTP proxy but it seems Spotify connection goes straight to the internet without using a proxy.

for an additional test, I even used socks proxy through ssh

ssh -D 1337 -q -C -N user@MyServerIP

and there was no connection go through ssh proxy.

I also checked the pref files in the Config directory and everything was look ok.

I tested both ways on a windows machine and they both worked fine without any problem so I assume the Linux version has a problem.

PS: my HTTP proxy is authenticated but the socks proxy was without any authentication

i hope someone can help to fix this issue.

5 Replies

You don't happen to be using a very recent snap of spotify do you? Try rolling back if you are.
I don't know much more about networking though sorry.

Are you using a newer snap of Ppotify? I had proxy errors with the very latest release.

Try rolling back, if not I suggest bargaining with/seducing a sysadmin to see what needs unblocking.

thanx for your reply yes i was using the last version. i will try install the previous version and i i will let you know. 

do you have any specific version in your mind?

Hello,

I have the exact same issue.

Spotify client works fine with proxy on windows based computers, but not with linux.

So my guess is the clients works differently.

A fix would really be welcomed.

Hello, So i have done some testing as this is also happening to me.. It seems that the Desktop App has changed the way it used work. I use Mac OS X and what i discovered is that the spotify app is trying to resolve www.spotify.com directly even if you have a proxy configured. it used to send this dns request to whatever proxy you have defined. There are many people having the exact same issue and the only work around i found (until updating to Catalina) was to use "Spotify-0.8.5.dmg" - this no is incompatible with Catalina fyi. i have tried to update the /etc/hosts - 

35.186.224.25 spotify.com

35.186.224.25 www.spotify.com

the /etc/hosts file is also for some reason is not being used but the spotify desktop app.. After updating my DNS server to only allow (as a test) the resolution to www.spotify.com, the app worked when proxy was configured.. So... over to you spotify developer Guru's....

Suggested posts