Announcements

Spotify on Mycroft Smart Speaker

Highlighted

Spotify on Mycroft Smart Speaker

Casual Listener

Spotify just disabled API access for the Mycroft smart speaker.  I can no longer use it to listen to the Spotify account I pay for.

This is really frustrating.  The skill was community developed and maintained and worked fine.  Now I can't access my Spotify account via voice without having Amazon, Google or Apple spying on me.

11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Spotify on Mycroft Smart Speaker

Casual Listener
Second this, I pay for a Spotify membership and should be able to access it however I want to.
Highlighted

Visitor

Can confirm I am experiencing this as well. As advised by @SpotifyCares, I have;

- reinstalled Spotify (using snap on Ubuntu Linux 20.04)

- had a look at the Spotify "developer forum" - which doesn't address this issue at all

It appears the Spotify developer API key for Mycroft, used by the Mycroft Spotify skill, has been deliberately disabled, with no communication occurring.

Mycroft is the reason I have a paid subscription to Spotify.

Has the Spotify authentication / API infrastructure changed recently and it's just a case of updating?

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Please fix this issue.  I am also a premium user and I will have to switch off of this platform if it is not fixed.  

Highlighted

Casual Listener

If this is available for other assistants, why did they remove it from this important api?

Is this another anti trust move ?

Highlighted

Casual Listener

It smells like an anti-competition move.  Spotify is reportedly working on thier own voice assistant, but they are also continuing to support Alexa, Cortana, Siri and Google Assistant.

They have not been willing to communicate about the issue.  If we don't hear back from them we may file an anti-trust complaint with the EU.

It stinks of using their market size to disadvantage smaller players.

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I am also a paying user of Spotify Family. I cannot understand why they are doing this to us customers for no apparent reason.
Highlighted

Casual Listener
+1 another premium account user affected by this change.
It's worth reiterating that this used to work fine. Someone at Spotify has disabled this access 😞
Highlighted

Casual Listener
How can they restore this access and why would they remove it from this?
Highlighted

Visitor
I want to use Spotify on Mycroft. i dont want to use amazon alexa or google assistant!
maybe we all should go to Deezer...
SUGGESTED POSTS