Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Device

Dell Latitude Laptop

Operating System

Ubuntu 18.04

My Question or Issue

Spotify opens OK and when I click play, the play bar moves as if it is playing but there is no sound. Other system sounds are there, Youtube and VLC player work well, only Spotify is mute. I could suspect Skype to mute it, as its habit, but the problem persisted after restarting the system. It used to play well on this system since a few months, except a few times it would mute like this, but it would be solved when I kill the process and restart.

What I tried?

Restarting the system, deleting cache, killing all Spotify processes do not solve. When I  start Spotify in terminal I see this:

[0422/114804.710443:ERROR:buffer_manager.cc(488)] [.DisplayCompositor]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glBufferData: <- error from previous GL command

I tried the solution mentioned here, no luck. 

Even reinstalling the program did not solve.

I think this time it died forever unless you can help it.

I attached the output of "strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Spotify plays without sound, in Ubuntu

Casual Listener
Hey, I had the same problem. My suspicion was that Spotify might just be muted for some reason. I installed "pavucontrol" (the pulse audio volume control) and found that Spotify was actually muted.
Maybe that helps you, too.
Best of luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Casual Listener

A week has passed. I still cannot use Spotify services on my PC. Anyone checks here?

Highlighted

Casual Listener
Already a month =(
web version works however
Highlighted
Solution!

Casual Listener
Hey, I had the same problem. My suspicion was that Spotify might just be muted for some reason. I installed "pavucontrol" (the pulse audio volume control) and found that Spotify was actually muted.
Maybe that helps you, too.
Best of luck!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

was having exactly the same problem as Oleg Elantsev today. PulsAudioControl was part of the software-center, and it's been the solution!

Highlighted

Casual Listener
That indeed fixed the problem. Thanks!
SUGGESTED POSTS