Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify plugin won't work on Clementine v1.2.3

Solved!

Spotify plugin won't work on Clementine v1.2.3

I am having trouble making Spotify plugin work on Clementine v. 1.2.3 for Linux.

I am using Ubuntu LTS 16.04 (also tried on MATE 16.04) on Dell Inspiron 5000.

Just to be give some context: I am also a premium user of Spotify (required to be able to use this kind of service) and the official Spotify player works very well on Linux.

After installing Clementine v 1.2.3, you need to install spotify plugin in the Settings menu.

First issue here: it installs it, but when trying to login to the spotify account, it won't stop trying to reach spotify server.

I found a fix for it here, following Kwaadpepper commented on 23 Jul 2015, installing libprotobuf7 package and symbolic linking it to the refered settings folder at ~.

Using the above fix, Clementine will confirm that you are logged in on Spotify.

The main problem is that searches for songs will never return results on spotify.

That is, you won't be able even to list the songs available on spotify. 

I contacted Spotify support (brazilian team), and they refused to help because, accoding to their answer, "spotify does not support Linux".

It actually means that either they do not know how to solve it or they do not want to help.

If anyone is able to use spotify on Clementine v1.2.3 or had this problem and know any fix, I would appreciate your comments.

--
fontanads@gmail.com

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As dummy as it seems, answering my own question in less than 1 hour after posting it, I found a good (close-to-ideal) "workaround".

I installed Clementine v.1.3.1 via its ppa available at the official website.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clementine

After installing the Spotify plugin (Preferences menu) and logging in to my account, searches for songs returned and player results from Spotify.

So it seems to be working fine now.
I still do not know what is the bug related to v.1.2.3 though.

--
fontanads@gmail.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

As dummy as it seems, answering my own question in less than 1 hour after posting it, I found a good (close-to-ideal) "workaround".

I installed Clementine v.1.3.1 via its ppa available at the official website.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clementine

After installing the Spotify plugin (Preferences menu) and logging in to my account, searches for songs returned and player results from Spotify.

So it seems to be working fine now.
I still do not know what is the bug related to v.1.2.3 though.

--
fontanads@gmail.com

I'm trying to reproduce your solution with installing clementine from

ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine.

I get the error, that there would be no release-file. I guess thats because of actuality. When I look in that repository there is nothing younger than 2017-05-10.

Do you know a solution?

Thanks

Suggested posts