Spotify snap outdated

Spotify snap outdated

Plan

Premium

Country

Italy

Operating System

(Linux Ubuntu 19.10 with gnome 3.34)

The snap package is severely outdated (even the edge snap file which is stuck to 1.1.12). It's been 6 months since the last update and I do think many bugs have to be sorted out (I'd recommend to check the drop down menus that you can select only with the enter key...) 

Thank You 

8 Replies

It's not the snap package to be outdated, it's the whole linux version some update behind the windows one.

I just checked the debian repository

APT-Sources: http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Package: spotify-client
Version: 1:1.1.10.546.ge08ef575-19

It's just as outdated.

The latest build of spotify for linux is only 6 days old.

Check the spotify snap page before complaining about the lack of spotify snaps.

I don't know how stable it is, why don't you go test it?

https://snapcraft.io/spotify 
spotify (edge) 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15 (5 February 2020)
$sudo snap install spotify --edge

1.1.12.449.g4109e645-38 (29 July 2019)

$sudo snap install spotify --candidate

seems to work fine for me though. 

Would you rather they made like a game developer and released broken unfinished software? 6 days! It's clearly being worked on.

It's a music player. It's not going to start playing outdated and buggy music just because it's not constantly being rewritten.

Screenshot_20200211_081749.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

Debian (and so Ubuntu) is not this.

That's Debian for you. Stable packages. It's not a rolling release - that's the whole point! Nothing gets updated until the next version.

Ya'll need to install gentoo ahaha sorry I'm not that mean but really Manjaro or openSUSE might suit you guys better. Then again rolling releases make LInux *exciting* and that's what gets people installing windows again 😉

As you can see my post is 4 weeks old. In the meantime snap package has been updated. Good news. I was complaining about the fact Linux packages (deb or snap) take too much time to be updated and many bugs stand still...that’s all. 🙂

Who cares about rolling releases? And what does it have to do with the spotify client? Particularly in the very case of a snap package?  Irrelevant comment!

Maybe he wanted to know if an updated version was available because he saw some new features in the Windows version he could benefit from. Or maybe he knows that the new version is solving a bug affecting his system. Who knows... Instead of ranting just ask and be nice to others! Stay on topic!

I'm on arch right now, and the aur package for spotify is outdated, I can't even log in. Currently I'm using spotifyd and spotify-tui, but spotify-tui is really buggy and non reliable, so, I installed mopidy, which still isn't a good replacement, i'm using spotifyd and controlling it through my mobile. So, it's not about rolling release, It's about spotify not caring about their premium users who run linux.

I found a solution right now. install flatpak then install spotify from it. It's a container based installer. And now I can use spotify in arch

Suggested posts