Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The app crashes on Debian due to HW acceleration

Solved!

The app crashes on Debian due to HW acceleration

Plan

Free

Device

HP Stream 11-y00ns

Operating System

Debian 10 Buster amd64 (Linux 4.19.0-11)

My Question or Issue

I installed Debian 10 yesterday on my 11' laptop via a net-install, and when I've tried to install the app (apt version, not snap) and setup my Spotify account, I've found that I can only open Spotify once in an user session. The error that appears in the terminal is the following:

[1007/232300.932739:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(439)] GPU process isn't usable. Goodbye.

I've found on the internet that it also happens in Google Chrome, and can be worked around by disabling the hardware acceleration... How could that be done on Spotify, since there is no option that enables me to do that on the GUI? Maybe a command-line parameter?

Thanks in advance

28 Replies
Marked as solution

FYI over here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Getting-error-GPU-process-isn-t-usable/td-p/5051142 it suggests using the --no-zygote flag, which works for me.

Same error here.

spotify --no-zygote also works for me on Centos 8 / epel8

How does this get turned into an actual bug report that Spotify will actually take action and fix rather than zillions of people having to come here and find and apply work-arounds?

I am a premium paying Spotify subscriber.  I deserve more in terms of customer service of their product that just being allowed to huddle in community forums trading secrets on how to get this piece of **bleep** working!

Spotify for Linux is not an officially supported program - it's an extra project from Spotify devs wanting to use Spotify on their Linux-powered machines and since it's not as often updated, it does have the ability to attract more problems. I'm sure they come around and see what people here in this subforum have most problems with and try to fix them for next update.

I can mark functional workarounds as solutions, that's the most I can do to make them visible. : )

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Maybe I need to stop paying Spotify my monthly Premium membership fee and find a streaming vendor that is willing to support the platforms I want to listen on.

Sorry , I don't want upset you, as Linux expert , I can tell you that is not Spotify specific problem, Spotify Linux app use chromium technology , which crash in certain cases, especially on first run when try detect GPU capabilities .

For example --no-zygote fix is a option send to chromium https://codereview.chromium.org/2384163002

What I mean is not either specific for your Linux specific distribution , is about how chromium deal with yours CPU and GPU drives and I'm not sure if is only in Linux ...

столкнулся с тем же. решил проверить права на папке запуска spotify. оказалось что были выставлены после установки пакета обрезанные права. выставил 755 и приложение стало нормально запускаться.
faced the same. decided to check the rights on the spotify startup folder. It turned out that after installing the package, truncated rights were set. set 755 and the application started to run normally.

faced the same. decided to check the rights on the spotify startup folder. It turned out that after installing the package, truncated rights were set. set 755 and the application started to run normally.

Suggested posts