Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The return of the libssl trouble on Linux

Solved!

The return of the libssl trouble on Linux

Running Debian testing/sid (stretch), spotify-client from Spotify's testing repository no longer works.

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looks like a recurring theme, as we have just recently survived the libssl0.9.8 to 1.0.0 transition, but we're going to have to enjoy 1.0.2. I doubt Debian will be easily persuated to stop upgrading their security related libraries so that we can run our favorite non-free software. Someone else will have to be flexible here 🙂

23 Replies

Nice that this is finally fixed—I can actually install it without having to install outdated, insecure old versions of openssl, and launching it actually works.

... sort of.  It doesn't actually install a .desktop file.  *facepalm*  This is really easy to solve, it's just a matter of adding a file:

/usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

to the package with content:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Spotify
Comment=Access and play music from your Spotify account
Keywords=music;streaming
Version=1.0
Exec=spotify
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Music;Audio
Icon=/usr/share/spotify/icons/spotify-linux-256.png

(For a regular user, you'd add it to a new file ".local/share/applications/spotify.desktop").  And if you wanted to get really clever, you can add translations into it.  With that installed (either locally or globally), I get a nicer icon, my desktop environment knows about the package, and, more importantly, I can actually launch the thing without having to open a terminal first.

While I can easily do that myself, I'm actually a bit shocked that the package doesn't have this to start with.  It's like the people writing the Linux version are Windows users who have never interacted with a Linux machine outside of an SSH client.  Is there really no one at spotify who actually uses Linux enough to know that install a GUI application without a way to launch it from a desktop environment is, you know, not actually the brightest idea?  I'm not a Windows user, but I find it pretty hard to believe that Windows version requires users to hit Start->Run (or open a Command Prompt) and then type in "spotify-client" in order to launch the darn thing.

So why does Spotify think that that's acceptable behaviour for Linux users?

yay!  Thanks jooon - this makes printers retake their rightful place as the most annoying part of a new setup for me 😉

@jagerman - as a heads-up, linux is not officially "supported" last I knew, although it looks like the forum got split out which is a good sign.  From the sounds of things, a few employees use linux themselves and set up a build for the distro they use.  The suggestion box (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ideas/ct-p/newideas) may be a good place for this - I've never really seen anyone use desktop application links (as opposed to taskbars or hotkeys), but it sounds like it's a useful & simple addition.

@jagerman42 wrote:

It doesn't actually install a .desktop file.

It should.

However, I have seen a few others complain about this as well. Other people does not seem to understand exactly what is wrong though, they just complain that the Spotify icon when they alt-tab is sometimes a question mark. I have reinstalled the client hundreds of times for testing purposes and sometimes the icon goes missing for me too, but I can't figure out why. The desktop file is always there.

Does it consistently not install a desktop file for you everytime you install the package?

Can you first make sure the client is updated:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install spotify-client

and then check the output of these commands:

spotify --version
cat /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop find /usr/share/icons/ | grep spotify-client

If you install the snap package instead, do you see icons and can start it like that?

There should be a slightly different looking desktop file in:

/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/spotify_spotify.desktop

for what it's worth, it looks like I got a .desktop file from the package.  I'm on Debian 9.4 with LXDE

spotifyDesktop.png

Suggested posts