Ubuntu 19.04 deb package segfault

yuusou
Regular

Plan Premium

Country US

Device Laptop

Operating System Ubuntu 19.04

My Question or Issue

Spotify is crashing with the latest update (1.1.5); rolling back to 1.0.98 solved the issue.

The issue seems to be with curl and gnutls, though I don't want to post logs because they're quite revealing I believe.

86 Replies

Leokun

same proble here with Ubuntu 19.04 and Spotify 1.1.5.153

I delete some user files and it works again :

$ rm -rf ~/.config/spotify

rushlife
Casual Listener

I am getting still SIGSEGV, even with version 1:1.1.10.546.ge08ef575-19

cnbnjn
Casual Listener

Hi,

I understand that there might be  issues with the TLS libraries, but as many other produts are also working with these, a workaround should be possible.

I am disapointed that nobody from the spotify developers (yes I know not officially supported) has an eye on this and come up with an updated spotify client.

chris

vaughan

The following brought it back for me:

1. snap remove spotify  (or apt-get purge spotify-client if using the deb package)

2. I used "locate spotify" to remove every mention of spotify from my system (well, except some icons, which I didn't think would matter).

3. snap install spotify

4. spotify  (I got to the login window, clicked "login with facebook", nothing seemed to happen, so I killed spotify).

5 spotify   (worked the second time)

carestad
Regular

For some reason, Spotify works right after I re-connect my wifi or cabled connection. It segfaults and crashes before, but right after re-connecting it works. Weird.

I have also tried downloading the curl related libraries form Debian's package repos here, and that worked, but I did see some version conflicts and had a bit of a APT mess to clean up afterwords, so I am not sure if I would recommend installing the .deb files that has been linked previously.

thereal_rjf
Gig Goer

This actually makes sense. I think from what I've found in the other forum thread - with the random segfault - I ran the spotify through gdb withthe core dump, found what seems to be the problem with the call to curl, examined the memory contents of the buffer passed to  libcurl-gnutls.so.4->curl_mvsnprintf for its output

29666 1561378833.635000 libcurl-gnutls.so.4->curl_mvsnprintf(0x7f07eaffa8e0, 2049, 0x7f083f6e7588, 0x7f07eaffa8c8)
                                    = 53 <0.002275>

and it contained :

(gdb) x/1s 0x7f07eaffa8e0
0x7f07eaffa8e0: "17 bytes stray data read before trying h2 connection\n"

which I think is because the client is not playing well with threads and is there are h2 connections with things left in them which are not being handled... possibly. Limited to how much poking I can do as it's not open source etc but there you go.

thereal_rjf
Gig Goer

Sorry I meant to say I am not surprised that restarting the network and loading spotify fixes it until next time for you... due to the above. possibly 🙂 

thereal_rjf
Gig Goer

I compiled gnutls and curl (compiled against gnutls) from latest source and ran my version of spotify. All fixed. Looks like problem in curl handling of multi events... which rather embarasingly is the problem pointed out by the chap above about the lib curl problems 🙂 Sorry chaps for wasting more of your time. Apollogies for blaming the spotify app here. Cheers.

dlu
Gig Goer

@carestad wrote:

I have also tried downloading the curl related libraries form Debian's package repos here, and that worked, but I did see some version conflicts and had a bit of a APT mess to clean up afterwords, so I am not sure if I would recommend installing the .deb files that has been linked previously.

It is not necessary to download and install deb files manually. One can include the eoan apt repository and work with pinning such that libcurl3-gnutls (and dependencies) will be upgraded via the usual apt upgrade leaving other packages untouched.

anselan
Casual Listener

I'm using Pop!_OS, based on Ubuntu 19.04, and having the same issue starting today.

anselan
Casual Listener

And.... now it's working again. Huh.

OMGBosnia
Regular

@anselan wrote:

And.... now it's working again. Huh.

Is it working after closing and reopening a few times?

anselan
Casual Listener

Oh. Seems like it sometimes starts only on the second (or third?) attempt. And sometimes first time.

Wut.

msexcel

same 

$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="19.04 (Disco Dingo)"

flapjackboy

I had the same issue on Ubuntu 19.04 this morning (I'm using the deb package, not the snap package) . When trying to launch Spotify, it would just crash. Launching from temrinal gave the output:

Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.749: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.759: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

And then a segfault.

Installing just the canberra-gtk-module didnt fix the issue, but installing libgail as well resulted in Spotify loading and working correctly. This was done with:

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module libgail-common

Just posting as it worked for me - your mileage may vary.

OMGBosnia
Regular

@flapjackboy wrote:

I had the same issue on Ubuntu 19.04 this morning (I'm using the deb package, not the snap package) . When trying to launch Spotify, it would just crash. Launching from temrinal gave the output:

Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.749: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.759: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

And then a segfault.

Installing just the canberra-gtk-module didnt fix the issue, but installing libgail as well resulted in Spotify loading and working correctly. This was done with:

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module libgail-common

Just posting as it worked for me - your mileage may vary.

This fixed the issue for me on Kubuntu 19.04.

EDIT: Upon closing and reopening Spotify, the issue returned.

simonskrede

Same here, segfault on ubuntu 19.04. Installing libcanberra-gtk-module does not help.

cnbnjn
Casual Listener

Same here, segfault in 5 out of 10  application starts

the_furai
Casual Listener

Getting exactly the same issue. Snap package seems to work.

Are there any alternatives to using spotify official client? Is spotifyd something worth giving a shot if I'm willing to give up cache/offline listening?

jeroenpraat
Casual Listener

When debugging with gdb, I get this:

Thread 27 "Curl Thread" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fff6f7fe700 (LWP 30735)]
0x00007ffff7e6fda7 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4

SUGGESTED POSTS