Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

Ubuntu 19.04 deb package segfault

Highlighted

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 deb package segfault

Casual Listener

Getting exactly the same issue. Snap package seems to work.

Are there any alternatives to using spotify official client? Is spotifyd something worth giving a shot if I'm willing to give up cache/offline listening?

Highlighted

I noticed the same in gdb.

Seems like the issue is somewhere where spotify uses curl for its https communication.

Screenshot from 2019-06-07 11-00-51.png

Highlighted

Same here, segfault on ubuntu 19.04. Installing libcanberra-gtk-module does not help.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Same here, segfault in 5 out of 10  application starts

Highlighted

I had the same issue on Ubuntu 19.04 this morning (I'm using the deb package, not the snap package) . When trying to launch Spotify, it would just crash. Launching from temrinal gave the output:

Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.749: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.759: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

And then a segfault.

Installing just the canberra-gtk-module didnt fix the issue, but installing libgail as well resulted in Spotify loading and working correctly. This was done with:

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module libgail-common

Just posting as it worked for me - your mileage may vary.

Highlighted

Regular

@flapjackboy wrote:

I had the same issue on Ubuntu 19.04 this morning (I'm using the deb package, not the snap package) . When trying to launch Spotify, it would just crash. Launching from temrinal gave the output:

Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.749: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 10:21:46.759: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

And then a segfault.

Installing just the canberra-gtk-module didnt fix the issue, but installing libgail as well resulted in Spotify loading and working correctly. This was done with:

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module libgail-common

Just posting as it worked for me - your mileage may vary.

This fixed the issue for me on Kubuntu 19.04.

EDIT: Upon closing and reopening Spotify, the issue returned.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

@andreaso84 wrote:

Switching to the snap package solved the problem for me.

snap install spotify

The snap starts up fine, but then there are new problems, e.g. I can't open settings, or account. When I click the links nothing happens at all..

I think comments coming from people suggesting installing canberra and gail aren't related to the TS's problem, this problem has something to do with libcurl-gnutls. I have all the suggested packages installed already and I still have this problem. I managed to start spotify-client only once after reinstalling it but any subsequent attempt failed. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I found a solution to this issue

Update manually by downloading the following packages, see links below.

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnutls28/libgnutls30_3.6.8-1_amd64.deb

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/curl/libcurl3-gnutls_7.64.0-3_amd64.deb

As a result, the new version of spotify-client for linux will work on Ubuntu 19.04!

Best regards,

Otto

Highlighted

Regular

I think it's better to wait Ubuntu developers to add newer versions of these two packages than downloading them from Debian repositories.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

If that fixes it, maybe it's worth to wrap it in a script that loads these libraries from some custom and not system-wide install location. Could that be feasible?

SUGGESTED POSTS