Announcements

Ubuntu 20.04-1 Crashes when "add source" for local songs

Solved!

Re: Ubuntu 20.04-1 Crashes when "add source" for local songs

Casual Listener

As mentioned in the Reddit thread, the local source paths are stored in watch-sources.bnk.

If you have a backup of an old Spotify profile with working local files, and can live without adding new sources (for now), restoring an earlier version of that file worked for me, e.g.:

cp ~/backup/spotify/watch-sources.bnk ~/.config/spotify/Users/<username>-user/

Thanks everyone, it worked for me as well with a backup watch-sources.bnk.
If you installed from snap, the file to be replaced is not in .config but in :
~/snap/spotify/<snapshot number>/.config/spotify/Users/<username>-user

Visitor
1.1.26 from https://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/ worked for me finally, on Pop_OS 20.20

For me, with 1.1.26 I can add the the local files, but not that version nor in newer version I can play the files. I get errror: Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.

Pop OS 20.10

Visitor

So I copied watch_sources.bnk from an older version of Spotify and it does show the new location in the newer version of the application. However, when I download songs, they're still stored under ~/.cache/spotify (I compared the size of both folders). Can someone help me with this? By the way, the new folder is on a second hard drive, if that matters.

Edit: Actually, the problem was indeed the fact that it was on a second hard drive because when I made another folder on the same drive, it magically worked! It doesn't seem to be a permission issue either! Kinda defeats the purpose of changing save location..

Casual Listener
It seem's there's another thread about this topic.
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Spotify-Client-crashes-when-adding-a-directory-to-loc...

I have this exact same problem on Spotify installed with flatpak on Fedora 33.

Casual Listener

same thing here.

Checking the spotify generated log shows songs that I added to my local files from my other laptop(running linux mint). But nothing about the crash.

Log looks like:

09:36:06.550 E [local_file_resource.cpp:80      ] Track spotify:local:::Radiohead+-+Fake+Plastic+Trees+_+Live:286: Local file failed
09:36:06.550 E [offline_manager_impl.cpp:3191   ] Offline track error: sync_error_offline_file_failed (7002) (spotify:local:::Radiohead+-+Fake+Plastic+Trees+_+Live:286)
09:36:06.551 I [track_resources_state.cpp:394   ] Track spotify:track:2kRFrWaLWiKq48YYVdGcm8 identifying complete parts.
  Token: 1
  File: eea8ff587eed41c46207ccc0e56610e65abdc450 @320000 bps
  Key: missing
  Head-file: N/A
  - Complete: normal, small, large, 

Visitor

The latest Spotify client still crashes on my Ubuntu 20.04 machine, but I managed to configure what I want on it.

There's a Docker container with an old Spotify client https://hub.docker.com/r/syncomm/spotify/. Modify the docker-spotify.sh in the url to mount a directory you want to configure, and execute the script. You can add the directory to sources, and then close the GUI to save watch-sources.bnk.

Once you copy "/home/spotify/.config/spotify/Users/[username]-user/watch-sources.bnk" on Docker to local "~/snap/spotify/current/.config/spotify/Users/[username]-user/watch-sources.bnk` and open a local Spotify client, it will have what you want.

SUGGESTED POSTS