Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why are there so many features removed?

Why are there so many features removed?

Hi there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know there are plenty of features that once have been there and now aren't. 

3 examples:

1) It seems that there was the possibility of importing playlists and songs from the Windows Media Player. But now I can't find an option like that. Why?

2) Apps and plugins. One it was possible to implement apps and plugins such as TuneWiki, musiXmatch etc. The webpage to download them and implement them still exists but it's no longer possible to install them. Why?

3) In the past customers/users were able to somewhat rate songs by starring them. No that "starred thing" just turned into another playlist like anyone else. Why?

5 Replies

Hello there,

Here are some answers.

1) It seems that there was the possibility of importing playlists and songs from the Windows Media Player. But now I can't find an option like that. Why?

Click --> Edit > Preferences

In the section  -- Local Files -- see if you have checked the right option to get your songs from WMP

local-files.jpg

2) Apps and plugins. One it was possible to implement apps and plugins such as TuneWiki, musiXmatch etc. The webpage to download them and implement them still exists but it's no longer possible to install them. Why?

About the apps, read this

https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/apps/

3) In the past customers/users were able to somewhat rate songs by starring them. No that "starred thing" just turned into another playlist like anyone else. Why?

The "Starred" option has been replaced by the section "Your Music" (left column)

When you click the sign + next to a song, that directly send it to the folders "Songs" or "Albums" or "Artists".

Hope that will make it clearer for you.

http://www.soundofus.com

https://twitter.com/soundofus

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well thanks for your reply.

BUT: 

1st: The screenshot you took looks like the Spotify Player version 0.9.XY. At least mine looks way different.

Anyway, I already enabled the player to gather data from the WMP. But playlists weren't taken. 

Now I downloaded the 0.9 version (I used the 1.0.1. version before) because I can still use plugins like musiXmatch. 

So I followed the link you gave to me. But it doesn't make it any clearer to me, why it shall be no longer possible to use plugins like musiXmatch. At least when you use the current version of the player. 

And I don't see that "my music" can replce a feature to rate songs. I mean there is still a great difference between "my songs" and songs I am totally nuts about.

In answer to your question about the apps, they've been discontinued (as mentioned in the link @Soundofus posted), with the focus being shifted to the Web API, which makes it possible for websites to better integrate Spotify into their own designs. So, that's the reason they've been removed from the Spotify software.

As far as rating songs in Your Music, you might check out this idea and give kudos/feedback. But, as it stands, I can say that Your Music was intended as basically a supercharged version of the starring system...not saying that's how it's turned out for all users, but that was just the thought going into it.

dinomightSpotify Star

Musixmatch is the only app that will be staying in the final release of 1.0.1 coming later this year. So don't worry about lyrics. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

In answer to your question about the apps, they've been discontinued (as mentioned in the link @Soundofus posted), with the focus being shifted to the Web API, which makes it possible for websites to better integrate Spotify into their own designs. So, that's the reason they've been removed from the Spotify software.

Okay, they wanna focus on the Web API thing. But why is it necessary to remove that app feature? 

Brought on line this whole thing still makes no sense to me. I mean yesterday I saw the 0.9er version on a friend's computer and I was just jealous. Among other things because of the plugin/app feature. So I asked him to send me the install file and replaced my 1.0.1er with the 0.9er player. And in my eyes, the fact that I prefere to use an older version speaks volumes...

Suggested posts