Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Will Christmas come early for Linux users?

Will Christmas come early for Linux users?

Hello everyone,

There's been quite a bit of development on the Windows and portable versions of Spotify over the last six months, but none of these have made their way to the Linux version to date.

What's the status on the development of the Linux version? Has it come to a halt, or is the new features proving difficult to port to Linux?

I sincerely hope that Christmas comes early this year, and that we'll see a new update to the Linux client.

Anyway, thanks for your continued work to make Spotity *the* platform to listen to music on any platform/device! 🙂

3 Replies

I heard from a developer that a new Linux version is currently in the works. I'm not sure when it will be coming though. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Version 1.0, which is currently in Beta on Windows and Mac, will be available for Linux. If we will get the Beta, or have to wait to final release is not known. It is also uncertain if we get any more 0.9.x releases, but a developer told us so. Anyway, missing out on the Beta is not a big problem IMO, as it has it's quirks and bugs.

Version 1.0 is more based on web technologies and should in that way be easier to develop for all platforms, meaning we'll probably get more updates along with Windows and Mac as soon as it is released. So the Linux situation for Spotify is most certainly up for an improvement, and if it comes before Christmas is uncertain, but good news anyway.
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

New Linux build!

Check it out:

https://twitter.com/felipernb/status/575669571044114432

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts