Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

negativo17's Spotify client on Fedora Linux

negativo17's Spotify client on Fedora Linux

Hi fellows,

I've been wondering what's up with negativo17's Fedora client of Spotify. It looks identical to official client to the extent it seems to be built from the same source. However it's totally unofficial.

Do anyone of you know who that dude is and what's the story behind his client and repository?

I'm asking because I tried it and it crashed my system couple of times because of liberal memory usage. Last time it ate 1,3gb of memory and my Fedora tipped over. First time it messed my system up pretty bad, since it happened during system update (okay, I'm stupid enough to run apps during update, but it still crashed).

For me, it is unusable. How about you?

p.s. I don't expect any official response to this thread, since we're talking about unofficial client.

3 Replies

Hello:

I am not sure about you but if it is an unofficial app and it is doing that to a Linux system, I would not use it. Hopefully the developer did not build in keylogging code and steal your Spotify account log in information either? Hope you do not have permium, I would suggest changing passwords quick just in case.

I think it's a reliable package, since it's mantained by a trustful member of the community[1]. However it can't be included in any official repo because it was converted from the ubuntu binary available for download.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Slaanesh

Thanks for replies! I've thought that the maintainer should be somewhat reputable and trustworthy, and if that is a fact, I've been just unlucky. I tried to search for reports of similar problems with the client in question but found none.

Suggested posts