Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"set the same volume level for all tracks" gone?

"set the same volume level for all tracks" gone?

Hey guys, is it true that with the newest version you can't turn off the "set the same volume level for all tracks" thing?

I mean, I can see that it's gone.. I just can't figure out whether it is permanently ON or whether Spotify ditched this function completely. 

Thanks!

9 Replies

Yes, I noticed the same. I would also like to know if that function is on or off permanently.

I don't understand how can Spotify not say a word about this... as it has a huge impact on the whole "loudness war". 

This is a big deal and people deserve to know where is Spotify going in terms of loudness.

motherf&^%$n BUMP

I would like to know the details as well. My guess would be that this option is now on by default, which is certainly NOT what I want. Perhaps another reason to ditch Spotify. Same goes for the "Gapless playback" option.

I also just noticed that the option to disable starting Spotify from the Web has been removed, and while Spotify is running, Spotifywebhelper.exe process is also always running. No way to disable it, while in the past I specifically wanted to disable this option.

This new version is starting to piss me off...

I think it's gone, because some songs are lower in volume than others.

Plus, they never added this to the mobile apps in the first place.

Other users have reported that the volume normalization setting will remain at whatever it was set to before the update.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Yeah I noticed that too, but that's really retarded.

What about if I want to switch it? What about new users? 

I both release & listen to music ... that's why I would like to know more about it. And I know I am not the only one. 

I checked my prefs file and the settings were still there.

On Windows the file is located at: C:\Users\<windows-username>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\<spotifty-username>-user\prefs

On OS X/Linux I would guess it is located at ~/.spotify/Users/<spotifty-username>-user/prefs or something similar.

Here is the line to disable normalization:

audio.normalize_v2=false

And here is the line to disable hardware acceleration, which was also removed in the new version:

audio.hw_accel_v2=false

I don't know if they still do something though.

On mac the location is:

~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/username-user/prefs

On mine the audio.normalize_v2 line was missing.  Setting it to:

audio.normalize_v2=false

Disables it in the client, so it is enabled by default now.  The best track I have to test it is https://open.spotify.com/track/4K1imZQQ0yKtJ40vGmUajS which is way lower than other tracks.

The reason I even cared about this is I had it enabled on my mac but not on the iPhone (where there has never been an option to enable it).  Since I setup a new system with airplay going to a high end dac, tube amp, and HD 800 headphones I noticed I prefered the iPhone spotify output vs the mac (the mac sounded harsher to me, more fatiguing).  Since they were both going into the same dac over airplay I couldn't figure it out till I remembered this setting and disabled it.  Now they both sound the same.

Suggested posts