Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Returning to Spotify from Apple Music. Can I bring my new Apple lists?

Solved!
2 people liked this

Returning to Spotify from Apple Music. Can I bring my new Apple lists?

Casual Listener
‎2015-08-06 03:52 PM

Gave Apple Music a try. Made a few nice playlists. But the interface was driving me mad, so I'm back to Spotify (with open arms?). Is there an easy way to import my recent Apple Music playlists into Spotify playlists? Googling this seems to be just ideas on how to do the opposite. Maybe Spotify should have a easy import tool to go along with a "Come back to me" ad campaign?!?

Thanks for the help!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
16 people liked this

Re: Returning to Spotify from Apple Music. Can I bring my new Apple lists?

Roadie
‎2015-08-10 11:02 PM

You can do it with Soundiiz.  Important: You have to download all the tracks in your AM playlist first.  Export it as a .m3u file.  Go to the Soundiiz website.  Login to your Spotify account.  Drag the .m3u file onto the tile that says "Drop here your file" (be patient with the English on this site, they're French).  Select Spotify as your destination platform.  Name and convert your playlist.  Soundiiz will convert your playlist to Spotify and it will show up in your account, sometimes right away and sometimes you have to restart Spotfiy.  Soundiiz will also give you an error log letting you know what tracks it couldn't find.  

Good Luck!

2 people liked this

‎2016-11-29 10:14 AM
Hi everybody,

A very simple way to copy your Apple Music' playlists to your Spotify Account on an iPhone:
From the AppStore, install the app 'workflow' then run it and browse the Worflow gallery and get the 'Add playlist to Spotify' workflow.
Enjoy!
It has taken me much more time to write this post than it will take you to complete this task..
1 person liked this

‎2017-12-03 01:17 AM

The above two accepted solutions have the problem of not being able to convert ALL the songs to spotify playlist.  These solution miss some songs, but you end up not knowing which song is missed, just finding your converted playlist is smaller than the original one. 

So I made up with my home-grown solution using a python script.

1. In iTunes, export the playlist to a xml file and name it, say, "mylist.xml"

2. Copy thethe following code into a text editor and replace file name at the second line with the name of your xml file, say, "mylist.xml". 

3. Save this file a .py file to your desktop and name it, say, "extract_text.py".  What this python file does is converting your xml file to a text file.

import re, io
f = io.open("change_this_to_the_name_of_your_exported_playlist.xml", mode="r", encoding="utf-8")
fout = io.open("output.txt", mode="w", encoding="utf-8")

l=[]
for line in f.readlines():
    match =  re.search("<key>(Name|Artist)</key><string>(.*?)</string>", line)
    if match:
        l.append(match.group(2))

for i in range(len(l)):
    song_or_artist = l[i].replace('&#38;','&') # XML formating replaces & with &#38; so we revert this replacement
    fout.write(song_or_artist + (u' - ' if i % 2 == 0 else u'\n'))
fout.close()

4. Open Mac OS X Terminal, paste the following command and hit Enter:

cd ~/Desktop
python extract_text.py

5. Then you will see a new file output.txt in your Desktop, which contains the song name and the artist name for each line. Something just like this:

Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay
Paris - The Chainsmokers
Inside Out (feat. Charlee) - The Chainsmokers
Setting Fires - The Chainsmokers
Don't Let Me Down (feat. Daya) - The Chainsmokers
The One - The Chainsmokers

6. Copy all the text inside to http://www.playlist-converter.net/ (Thanks to the authors of this website!!) , and follow the instructions on the website to convert this text to your Spotify playlist!

21 Replies

Rock Star
‎2015-08-06 04:54 PM

jeffmclane187 wrote:

Gave Apple Music a try. Made a few nice playlists. But the interface was driving me mad, so I'm back to Spotify (with open arms?). Is there an easy way to import my recent Apple Music playlists into Spotify playlists? Googling this seems to be just ideas on how to do the opposite. Maybe Spotify should have a easy import tool to go along with a "Come back to me" ad campaign?!?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, but as far as I know Spotify doesn't offer an import tool to import your Apple Music playlists. Really sorry dude. You might just have to re-create each playlist in Spotify for now until Spotify adds the ability to import playlists.

RSJLIKE and/or "Accept As Solution" if this post resolved your issue!
Become a Community Rock Star!
Message Me Last.fm Twitter

Roadie
‎2015-08-09 11:52 PM

I've had a look at Apple Music - but it's not my cup of tea too. Unfortunately, you can't import right now, but I'm sure if you post this in the ideas forum at: https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/ideas_submissions, I'm sure Spotify staff will take a look at it.

I'm not going to say "Just sit there and do it yourself!" because that's just boring. For now, I'd just wait for a tool to arrive, and if it doesn't arrive soon, it looks like the only option left is to manually do it!

Let me know how it goes and drop me a link to your idea - I'll be sure to upvote it! :-)

Starting out but ready to make a difference :-)
16 people liked this

Roadie
‎2015-08-10 11:02 PM

You can do it with Soundiiz.  Important: You have to download all the tracks in your AM playlist first.  Export it as a .m3u file.  Go to the Soundiiz website.  Login to your Spotify account.  Drag the .m3u file onto the tile that says "Drop here your file" (be patient with the English on this site, they're French).  Select Spotify as your destination platform.  Name and convert your playlist.  Soundiiz will convert your playlist to Spotify and it will show up in your account, sometimes right away and sometimes you have to restart Spotfiy.  Soundiiz will also give you an error log letting you know what tracks it couldn't find.  

Good Luck!

1 person liked this

Casual Listener
‎2015-08-11 12:33 AM

Thanks Soundiiz seems to work pretty well. Missed a couple tracks from a playlist with 200+ songs.

Awesome solution!

Edited
Rock Star
‎2015-08-11 05:58 AM

repete7 wrote:

Good Luck!

Ooh, I didn't know about that tool! Seems pretty awesome! Did it just launch recently? :)

RSJLIKE and/or "Accept As Solution" if this post resolved your issue!
Become a Community Rock Star!
Message Me Last.fm Twitter
1 person liked this

Edited
‎2015-08-31 09:33 AM

it doesn't work with my m3u-file. he finds not a single itunes song on spotify, although it's very common music. is it posissible that it's because I'm on a Mac? 

Casual Listener
‎2015-12-18 03:22 PM

Just a word of warning. This app requires access to your account, something which you can't revoke after you've approved it. This means that the app is free to keep accessing your account and doing whatever it likes with the info it finds evern without your interaction. For more details see here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Manage-Third-Party-Access-Permissions/idc-...

Regular
‎2016-04-18 08:35 AM

Practically I found an article that allows you to Export from Spotify and import into Apple Music, free

http://www.masterdany.it/come-esportare-playlist-da-spotify-ad-apple-music/

‎2016-09-18 10:18 PM

File, import playlists, itunes on OS X. The files have to be offline so download the playlists you want and move them across before cancelling AM.

SUGGESTED POSTS