Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Spotify app on High Sierra Global HotKeys for Pause/Play,Next Song stopped working

Solved!
11 people liked this

Spotify app on High Sierra Global HotKeys for Pause/Play,Next Song stopped working

Music Lover
‎2017-09-25 12:58 PM

Hi,

Seems like hotkeys for pause/play , next/prev song stopped working on newest mac osx High Sierra. Reinstalling Spotify app did not work for me. Anyone having same issue? 

Spotify 1.0.63.617 on Mac osx High Sierra 10.13 Beta

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
2 people liked this

Re: Spotify app on High Sierra Global HotKeys for Pause/Play,Next Song stopped working

Community Legend
‎2017-09-29 10:17 PM

I am running version 1.0.64.399.g4637b02a and I still experience this issue. The widget did not fix this.

Additional information: if iTunes is running, the keys to Spotify do not work (previously they worked if you brought Spotify to the foreground). When iTunes is not running, the keys work as expected.

4 people liked this

Re: Spotify app on High Sierra Global HotKeys for Pause/Play,Next Song stopped working

Music Lover
‎2017-09-30 05:10 PM

In general it seems that hot keys are working with last 'controllable' app: it might be VLC movie, vimeo in safari, itunes, netflix and lots of other stuff that is playable and what you used last.

If you played netflix it will controll it, if youtube video you may play/pause by hotkey, and spotify will not be served by keys unless you will play it directly in app.

This how it works in my environment currently...

14 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2017-10-03 10:02 AM

Also solved it for me. In my case I only had to disable/remove the Google Play (Music) extension. Works without the need for Now Playing widget.

10 people liked this

Edited
Music Lover
‎2017-10-05 09:44 PM

Going into the Extensions -> Keyboard Shortcuts(All the way at the bottom), and removing all of the keyboard shortcuts for Google Play Music fixed this for me.

http://cupertinotimes.com/mac-media-keys-fix/

16 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2017-10-10 08:03 AM

This is the best solution, I guess

http://milgra.com/high-sierra-media-key-enabler.html

2 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2017-11-05 08:59 PM

Go here and run this app, and then add it as a start up item.

2 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2017-11-12 08:45 AM

No need to install some software. Just follow this steps from Apple. It really worked!!

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.39.44 PM.png
41 Replies

Music Lover
‎2017-09-25 01:35 PM

Same here. Before the GM version of High Sierra it was all working fine. Now it shows an iTunes-like pause/play, next/previous sign and nothing happens.

Music Fan
‎2017-09-25 10:07 PM

Having this issue as well. 

7 people liked this

Concert VIP
‎2017-09-26 08:36 AM

It seems that the problem is gone after I enabled Now Playing widget in the notification center.

It's either this or the Magic Keys prefspane. Magic Keys did not help after I installed it and checked all the boxed and rebooted. So I unchecked all the boxes in Magic Keys and rebooted again. Maybe this prefpane interfered with something in my favor even if the boxes were unchecked. I don't know.

I also removed itunes helper from user login items.

1 person liked this

Music Fan
‎2017-09-27 03:57 PM

Unfortunately enabling the widget didn't worked out here. The widget actually don't get any information from spotify though.

Concert VIP
‎2017-09-27 04:44 PM
Mine has all the information except for the cover art. Strange.
1 person liked this

Gig Goer
‎2017-09-28 11:23 AM

The notification center widget didn't work for me too at first. Restarting spotify fixed it and now the hotkeys work as well. :)

Thanks for the workaround!

Music Fan
‎2017-09-29 01:35 PM

Hi. I'm also having this problem - can I ask what you mean by the 'Now Playing' widget? Would love to try this fix but not sure where I need to look for this. Any help would be great. Thanks. 

Concert VIP
‎2017-09-29 04:00 PM

This: Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 17.58.33.png

Concert VIP
‎2017-09-29 04:22 PM

There has just been another update and it seems you no longer need the widget.