Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops playing after an ad

We've received reports that Spotify pauses after an ad and the playback cannot be resumed. This seems to affect multiple platforms including desktop, mobile, and TV.

The behavior is currently being investigated.

Hey folks,

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
gk210

Basically, I go to listen to my music and the first few songs work, and then I get an ad which refuses to play and stops my music altogether. I listen on the Spotify web player and this problem has come up for about a week. The ad looks like it's going but it doesn't and every time you try to click on a new song, the ad just restarts. 

Jeremy

Hi there @gk210,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. Let's take a closer look into this.

To start with, can you let us know if this occurs with a specific add or if it's random?

We also suggest that you clear your cache and cookies to see if it makes any difference.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Take care!

gk210

It’s gonna be any ad. Clearing cache and cookie didn’t work. 

Jeremy

Hi again @gk210,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Can you try from a different browser to see if it makes any difference?

It would also be great if you can have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

gk210

I have found a solution to the problem. I only needed to sign out of Spotify and then sign back in and ads play like normal. 

Thanks for your help, Jeremy! Take care 🙂

--G

SoulTreasure

Plan

Free

Country

Italy

Device

(Mac mini 2021)

Operating System

(macOS 12.6.1 Monterey)

My Question or Issue

from about 4/5 days ago (25th of January 2023), I noticed  Spotify stops music when ads coming (after listening about 4/5 songs)! So I have to reload the page any time to start listening music again!

Someone can help? It is happening also to you?

Schermata 2023-01-30 alle 10.38.34.png
Lyubka

Hey @SoulTreasure,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you please let us know if the issue persists after you log out > restart your device > log back in?

If you haven't already, here are a couple of things you can also try out: 

• Use an incognito / private window. On some devices it's called Secret Mode. You should find this option in your browser's menu.
  • Clear your browser's saved cache and data and try again.
  • Use a different browser. For example, if you normally use Safari, try with using Chrome.
  • Try changing your network to test this. It's a good idea to start a hotspot and connect your Mac Computer to it to see if the same behavior continues.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you have any further questions about this.

SoulTreasure

First of all thank you about the reply!!!
Before submit my main post I had already tried all the suggestions you mentioned above!
Log out and restart....done!
Private window...done!
clear cookies and caches....done!
changing network done!
P.S. about the browser used I'd specified (in the title of the post!) that I'm getting this problem JUST with Safari! All the other browsers works fine with spotify!

Lyubka

Hey @SoulTreasure,

Thanks for getting back to us!

We understood that the issue is on Safari, but it was helpful for us to know that it does not persists on all of your browsers as this was not mentioned in the original request. Apologies if there was any confusion created on our end.

In this case we'd recommend to check if there is a pending update on your Safari. Safari updates are meant to improve browser's performance hence this could improve the Spotify app's performance on this specific browser. Head here to see how to update it.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

SoulTreasure

Hi @Lyubka !

It's my fault! I'm sorry for my bad English!

I wrote about other browsers saying Spotify works fine on all others (Chrome, Firefox and so on)! Problem is JUST on Safari!

Schermata 2023-02-01 alle 14.52.00.png