Ads won't play, can't be skipped, can't play music

Ads won't play, can't be skipped, can't play music

ehryn
Regular

Brief description of the issue: Every now and then an ad that says "you can skip this ad after 5 seconds" comes along, and... won't play. Nor can I skip it, or choose a song. In fact, often it completely crashes my spotify client and I have to force close it. It's only happening on these specific ads, any other ads are all fine, but these 'wait 5 secs' ads are absolutely infuriating, because I have to close Spotify and reopen it in order to start playing music again. And, if it's the very first ad I come across it means doing it sometimes after just one song depending on when the first ad shows up (which is sometimes after the very first song I play). 

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. I cannot reproduce this issue, it happens completely at random. 

What steps you’ve tried already: I have tried updating my Spotify client (it says there are no updates), deleting and redownloading my client, and the old 'turn it off and on again' by closing and reopening it. This has been going on for months but since it used to happen maybe 1/2 times a day and is now happening basically once an hour, I would really appreciate a fix.

Your device and operating system (e.g. MacBook Air, 10.10 OSX): Macbook Pro 13 inch, OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free

The app version of Spotify you’re using: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Ads won't play, can't be skipped, can't play music

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repeptitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

Could you also try connecting to another internet connection to see if that helps?

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

LoxerRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ehryn
Regular
Hi, sorry, I didn't get a notification and honestly totally forgot to check back here sooner! I have restarted my device several times, as well as the app, and deleted/redownloaded it, but nothing has made a difference - the issue still happens! (Which is what reminded me to come and check back here.) And it happens whether I'm at home, at work, or using my mobile data - though I should mention it doesn't happen when I'm listening via my phone app, only on my Macbook. Here's my device and client details: Your device and operating system (e.g. MacBook Air, 10.10 OSX): Macbook Pro 13 inch, OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6 Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free The app version of Spotify you’re using: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d Thanks for your help.

Hey @ehryn.

Thanks for getting back to us :)

I know you mentioned that you don't experience this issue on your phone, just to confirm this isn't an account issue, do you mind creating a new free account and seeing if you're still unable to skip those ads?

Keep us posted - we'll be here to help if you still need it ;)

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

SUGGESTED POSTS