Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

After the latest update, Spotify (Mac) desktop doesn't plays music anymore

Solved!

After the latest update, Spotify (Mac) desktop doesn't plays music anymore

This morning I updated Spotify on my Mac laptop (OS X 10.9.5) to the lastest version (0.9.14.13.gba5645ad), but after that Spotify doesn't play any songs anymore; not from my own playlists nor from Spotify's own playlists. I constantely get the message "can't play the current song". After skipping +5 songs in the playlist, from time to time just one song plays and after that the same thing continues, "can't play the current song".

I've tried several things to solve the problem; restarting Spotify; turning off and on my wifi connection on my laptop; rebooting my wifi rooter; reinstalling Spotify, but non of those things helped to solve the problem. Additionally, the app on my smartphone (iphone) still works fine though. But it is quite annoying that the desktop version doesn't work anymore. 

Does someone knows what is going on or how to help to solve this issue?

Kind regards,

59 Replies

Hi! I had that problem too. I reinstalled spotify and it solved. Try it. It'll work. Have fun 🙂

I am having this problem as well. OSX 10.9.4, Spotify version 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad.

After 3-5 tries the track will successfully play.

Very annoying. Hope you fix this soon. 

Unchecking local files did not work for me, even after closing and re-opening spotify. This just started happening yesterday or the day before.

I am still having the problem and its really annoying, if i keep hearing banners sayin for me to upgrade to premium why would i pay $10 for problems?

Since I received the latest update, the Spotify desktop 0.9.14.13 player for windows 7 posts a dropdown alerts stating “Can’t play the current track”. I tried all my tracks and the same alert appears. I was on the premium subscription and canceled to the free version. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Its the same case for me. It happened after the latest update. Saying that its working fine on my ipad. Also there is only one tedious way to play songs. Keep on clicking the track you want to play. After, two numbers you feel like closing down on spotify.

Spotify support pls look into this matter.

Uncheck High quality streaming in Preferences. The new update changed the high quality-streaming feature only to work with premium subscription. They claimed that in the past but if checked on the free service it still worked, so the new update blocks the player from working if checked. The Spotify people should have warned us of this change and it would have avoided all this aggravation...

Uncheck High quality streaming in Preferences. The new update changed the high quality-streaming feature only to work with premium subscription. They claimed that in the past but if checked on the free service it still worked, so the new update blocks the player from working if checked. The Spotify people should have warned us of this change and it would have avoided all this aggravation...

Marked as solution

thanks this solved the problem

Hi\

turning off Enable hardware acceleration dose not work...??

This worked - Thanks! 

In the Spotify desktop player, go to “Edit” found in the upper left corner of the menu bar, click on it and scroll to the end of the drop down menu, and click “Preferences”. Then, to the right of the queue scroll down to the section titled “Playback” and right below it is “High Quality Streaming”, uncheck it!

So I pay for premium. So I shouldn't have to turn off high quality streaming... And hardware acceleration doesn't effect anything. It's very frustrating that this is happening. Especially because the songs work on my mobile device. Just not on my windows computer

I’m sorry to hear it, I’m not a technician… All I can suggest is reinstalling Spotify and try to contact customer support on twitter: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares

I have this problem too.  The specific song doesnt play on my computer or my IPhone.  I did a search for the song and found it on several albums and only one of them played.  I deleted the one that wouldnt play and replaced it with the song that did play.  Problem solved.

I am having the same problem after recent update.. Quite annoying tbh.. it doesn't want to play even songs that I played before.

The issue happens on Mac 10.9.5

When I use spotify on Windows 8 laptop there is no such problems. And what more interesting, if I play some track on Windows, that I couldn't play on Mac, it become available on Mac as well.. How come?

The error is not descriptive enough.. But it sounds lto me ike I don't have permissons to play it, but after it played on WIndows it changes it's mind and gives me to play it on Mac. 

I have cleread chache, didn't helped.

Please resovle this. My daily work routine deppends on Spotify.. I can't work without music 🙂

I am having the similar issue with spotify app, the webex version is working but some songs are not being played on the app. I reinstalled it twice already after removing the cache but no luck yet. 

Suggested posts