Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album cover and song title freeze [Mac OS X]

Album cover and song title freeze [Mac OS X]

Hello

In the last two weeks I experienced that the album cover and the song title freeze after listening to a couple of songs or that the ad that was played before a song freezes. 

I attached a screenshot. I must mention that I deleted all the Spotify data from my computer and reinstalled Spotify but the problem still appears. 

Thanks! 🙂 

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 15.56.59.png
17 Replies

I thought I was going crazy, but I can report this also.

Spotify 1.0.36.124.g1cba1920   on OSX 10.11.6 (15G31)

Problem seems to occur after one to three songs. I notice the problem most often right after waking up from sleep or screen saver... Whatever item was playing when the app loses focus freezes in the UI. Artwork, song title is frozen, however the playback bar and the song playing in the actual list update correctly.

Screenshot also attached, you can see Alien Ant Farm is playing (~woo party like its 1999~) however the App is showing The Black Keys in the title and art.

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 12.30.22 PM.png

I have the same exact problem. I can navigate the music with the hardware keys and by clicking around, but the cover art, title and timeline is frozen.

I've tried reinstalling Spotify, rebooting, and rebooting after removing Spotify. Maybe there is a cache we could try clearing somewhere?

I'm running 1.0.37.150.gad02a02e

on a 13" Macbook Pro Retina Primo 2013, with El Captain 10.11.5 (15F34). 

It's the kind of bug you laugh off at first, but it's really quite irritating. I didn't know how often I skipped around in my music before getting this bug. 😉 

I'm having the same issue, but on Windows. (This is the Windows issues forum!)

I replied to this thread about it yesterday:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Cover-don-t-change-problem-with-ad...

As I posted there, it seems that for some people (me and cristiiii8), the track timeline also freezes to the advert's length, but others (such as Maybe_its_Aaron) that part stays working:

But looking at your screenshot, I have an extra problem: the track timeline stays fixed at the 30 second length of the last advert. So I can start other tracks playing, and they'll scrobble correctly to my Last.fm account; but the art, title, artist and timer counter don't update, and I can't click the track timeline to play a different part of the track.
This doesn't happen every time an advert gets played: at the moment, it seems to happen approximately every two or three sets of adverts played.
(version 1.0.37.150.gad02a02e, Windows 10.)

As a workaround: I turned the "crossfade songs" switch off in the "advanced settings" and the problem is gone.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one having this issue! 

On mine the album art and playback bar used to freeze just on the ads, but now it's just freezing at random times. The most recent freeze I had did it differently though, with just the album art freezing (showing incorrectly). Either way, I would appreciate it if Spotify fixed this bug as it detracts from the listening experience IMO. Considering switching to Apple Music...

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 3.54.21 PM.png

Hey guys I fixed the issue, but you won't like how I did it.

I bought spotify Premium and it went away ASAP. Probably something to do with the ad code then... Oh well, I use it for working, so honestly, I was about to do it anyway. 

I know it probably won't help you much, but if it's really pissing you off, and you are considering upgrading, maybe this will tip you over....

Ah yes, a "bug" which is really an "upgrade feature".

Awesome

Unfortunately this isn't a solution for me, I've had crossfade disabled already.

Oh yeah. I was expecting this kind of recommendation. Buy premium and it will go away.

This is something going on for long long time... And it is the kind of big defect any developement team would prioritize first. They don't want to fix it.

[Edit 9.12.16: It's been 1-2 weeks now that I've been able to enjoy bug-free playback with the last 1-2 updates. I'm relieved Spotify has come round on this issue and hope something like this won't happen again.]

[Edit 26.11.16: Today I found a solution for album covers, song and artist titles freezing in Spotify after advertisements! 

I fixed it by closing Spotify, then pressing Windows Key+R and typing

%appdata%/spotify

and pressing enter. Then a folder pops up. Open the "Users" folder. Here open the folder which is your username. There: delete the "ad-state-storage.bnk" file

Open Spotify and hopefully it works!

Source: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/My-spotify-stops-playing-after-eac... ]

Hi from Germany,

I'm having a similar problem on Windows 10, Spotify 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6

Every now and then after an ad plays, either album cover and song title or ad banner freeze, also "the track timeline stays fixed at the 30 second length of the last advert." I can click on the Play/Pause button to pause, but not to start again, and the last song/next song are buttons are greyed out and not usable.

I just clicked on the song title, and an advertisement to the following site opens up: https://www.hellofresh.de/tasty/?c=HelloFreshSpotify&utm_source=spotify&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=...

Crossfade is turned already off, so in my case it has not helped.

I hope this is not an intentional design defect or that the repair is delayed in order to motivate more to upgrade to Premium, as I've also been having this issue for months.

Spotify error 2016-11-13.png

Reporting described behavior in 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6

Same issue in Ubuntu 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6

This bug has been around for months degrading the experience. If this is really an extortion to force premium accounts I guess I should be ditching Spotify altogether, there are great alternatives like deezer for instance. 

The same here, I'm considering switching to other program.

I don't think they do it on purpose to force people to switch to premium. It only causes most of the people to switch to other rival platforms. And because thay also earn money from these advertisements, they would loose most of their ad income which is also unacceptable for them. So I still think this is a bug.

On the other hand, I have another "theory" about why this problem appeared in the first place and why it can be hard to solve: There are some 3rd party software around for automatically muting the Spotify when an ad starts and turning the volume back on when the song resumes. They must be managing it by detecting a certain indicator on Spotify player. To fight against this kind of softwares, Spotify team must have masked these kind of indicators. But, in the process, they must have messed it up. And maybe it is now just a matter of trade-off between "fight against piracy" and "customer satisfaction" for them. Do you think it is a long shot?

Hi all,

I'm still having similar bugs concerning the bottom left album cover, song title and artist name freezing, often displaying advertising.

We have not gotten a reply from Spotify through this forum, so I encourage you all to contact them (with screenshots) on Facebook or Twitter (SpotifyCares). But keep us updated here!

There they've always forwarded the bug reports to the tech team, but I hope they get their act together soon, because in eight days of having contacted SpotifyCares on Facebook, I've reported five different advertisements this bug occurs with and it seems a bit much.

Coincidentally, Spotify in Germany seems to have started a promotion to try Premium for 3 months at 0,99€/mo. a few days ago. Well.

It seems that the freeze is gone in Ubuntu 1.0.43.123.g80176796

It has been a whole day without a freeze.

Suggested posts