Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio Stations Acting Like Playlists

Solved!

Radio Stations Acting Like Playlists

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Windows 10

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Lately every time I create a radio station from a song or artist or whatever, it takes me to what is actually a playlist.  As a result, I cannot mark the songs with a thumbs up or thumbs down.  This makes the radio feature not very useful.

2019-02-13 12_43_08-Window.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about the Radio function in the Spotify app.

As you may have noticed, there have been some recent changes made to the way Radio works. The main changes are the following:

• When you click on Go to Song/Album/Artist Radio via the three-dot menu, Spotify takes you to a pre-made, finite playlist*. When you get to the end of these playlists, if you have Autoplay turned on, a radio station will be automatically generated based on that playlist.

* Note: this does not include Playlist Radio, which functions like the old Radio.

screen1.PNG

• You can now click on the FOLLOW button in each radio playlist; this will save it under Playlists in the left sidebar so that you can find it easily when you want to listen to it later.

screen2.PNG

• The 'Create New Station' button, which used to be in Your Library > Stations, has been removed.
  • You can find a list of recommended stations in the Radio menu in the left sidebar in the desktop app*.

* Note: this option is no longer available on the mobile app.

screen3.PNG

As you get familiar with the new Spotify Radio, we wanted to give you a few tips about how to make the most of it:

1. You can now see the number of followers each radio playlist has in the info at the top of the playlist.
  2. You can create a separate folder under Playlists in the left sidebar, where you can save and keep track of all your radio playlists.
  3. You can easily access the radio playlist for any artist by searching for them; you will see their playlist automatically comes up in the list of results.

Lastly, if you have any feedback about the new Radio, as with any new feature, we'd love to hear from you! Just head over to the relevant thread here and leave your feedback as a comment in the thread. We'll make sure we pass it on to the right folks.

In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding how the new Radio works, feel free to reach out to us by creating a new thread in the Community - we'll be happy to answer any questions there.

Thanks! Stay awesome.

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Having issues with Spotify radio feature on pixel xl 3. Becore i was able to go to an artist or song and choose go to song/artist radio, i was able to play the radio as always, however ever since the new update, when i try doing the same, instead of going to the actial radio it takes me to a playlist called "radio" with a limited amount of songs. However, under stations i can can still listen to previos radio stations i have saved. Did spotify go away with this feature or what is the deal, the radio feature is really the only reason i consider using spotify. 

Any ideas?

Screenshot_20181227-143726.png

its the same for pc... what is this i need radio 😞

Hey @user-removed.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We'd be happy to help you. We just need a bit more info. Could you let us know what you mean by the word Bouquet? We're a little bit confused here.

Perhaps this page with info about the Radio feature will help you. If it doesn't please let us know what we can do for you and we'll be happy to help.

Have a nice day!

With bouquets i mean the folders of "My library" on Spotify menu..These folders are lists, radio, songs, albums, etc..

All of radio stations that i have followed last month, didnt appear on Radio folder but on Lists folder...They seem to be like lists and not like radio..

I have reinstall the aplication but same problem..Do you have an idea how to fix it??

Thanks

As i saw now, all the radio stations that i follow, dont go to radio folder but on list folder as a list ( not as radio )..I cant add to radio folder any radios...As i said, this happens lately month..

Plan:

Premium for Students

United States

Device
Macbook Pro (Mid-2012)
iPhone XS

Operating System
MacOS (Mojave 10.14.3 Beta 
18D38a)
iOS 12.1.3 (16D5032a)

Issue:

Radio Stations are listed as "Playlists"
Radio missing from iOS Menu ("Stations" is listed in "Library" but not able to access any stations)
"Go to Radio" and "Go to Artist Radio" take me to a "Playlist" and not a radio station.

Steps Taken:
Searched for artist ("Pentatonix" in this example).
Clicked the 3 "dots" on top.
Clicked "Go to Artist Radio"
Was taken to "Pentatonix Radio" but it is classified as a "playlist"

Playlists play songs in the exact order (unless shuffle is turned on) and do not play any songs outside of the playlist.

Nor can I thumb up/down songs to tailor the station over time to my likes/dislikes.

Radio *DOES* work on web player. However any radio station played on desktop does not appear in Macbook App, nor iPhone app.

However I use my Macbook to stream music and not my windows desktop. Web player does not work in Safari, do not have Chrome installed as my prefered browser is Safari.
Desktop is my cryptocurrency mining manager and is not usually capable of streaming music as system resources are tied up.

IMG_5047.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 2.52.11 PM.png

Unfortunately Spotify seems convinced that this is somehow a better function than the older radio function. They have been gradually shifting all users to this new, less functional system for reasons unknown. This is not a bug. It is a "feature".

Guess it is back to Pandora until they put it back.

I have a premium plan, using in Germany on a Mac, problem started with previous version now updated to version 1.0.99.250.g936eab8d and the problem persists. 

Since last week all of my saved stations have disappeared, I'm only left with recommended stations. Also the genre stations that were usually at the bottom of the page are gone. On my laptop the radio station page is unchanged and I can still see and use all of my saved stations.  

I want my stations back on my desktop, no idea what changed since last week.

Screenshot shows the current state of the page.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 18.22.48.jpg

Hey,

these may seem too basic but can you try:
- Restarting your device,
- Relaunching the Spotify client,
- Re-logging to the Spotify client,
- Reinstalling the Spotify client,

If none of these work, please reply.

Cheers,
Arda

Thanks for the ideas, but after trying everything the  situation is unchanged. I still only have the recommended stations and all the stations I saved are gone. 

When I follow an Artist Radio, almost always, that Artist Radio gets saved in the Playlist area of My Library rather than the Stations area of My Library.   Why?

This seems incorrect to me.  I would expect to see followed Artist Radios in the Station section.  Because of this, My Playlist section is cluttered and followed Artist Radios are harder to find than they should be.

Hi

I have the same issue as you and also the radio function does not add more songs as i listen. When I contacted Spotify about this yesterday they confirmed this was a technical change they have made that is being rolled out gradually.  Very disappointing change!!

I chatted with Spotify support (who was helpful).  They stated that there are inconsistancies between where Artist Radios are saved, followed, and appear.  Sometimes the Radios and Stations are in Your Library, sometimes they are in the Playlist section, and other times nowhere to be found.

I am also a Pandora Premium user (trial promo) and it is the same, inconsistancies with followed Radios.  

How the heck can't there be a section called Followed Radios/Stations?  

Hey @racello

Interesting notice, I just checked it and it turns out you're right. 

However, you can easily get a radio. Go to the bottom of the playlist and play the last song, then click on the "next button" and you'll then be redirected to an actual radio. 

Hope this works for you, sir : )

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I've also noticed this on Android. Thanks for the work around 

Hey @PotatoSauceVFX 

I don't know all the things happening backstage, but have in mind that Spotify is always testing new features, so maybe we can see some good improvements to this in the feature : ) 

For more info: Why has the app changed?

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

In the most recent update, Spotify changed the radio function. To make a radio of an artist or song, you must go to the artist and select Radio or with right click, on a song, start radio.

Ok, but it erased all my saved stations and only has recommendations. It's more of a bug than a feature. Very annoying. 

Suggested posts