All songs unplayable on Spotify desktop App

Solved!
Highlighted

All songs unplayable on Spotify desktop App

sinivuokkonen
Casual Listener

Hello all!

I have had troubles playing some songs in the past, but now it looks like gradually this problem has completely taken over Spotify. Essentially it looks like the situation in the image below: when you click on a song to play, it is empty - there is no cover art and the song never begins. In the playlists these songs do not show up, so now I am in the situation that my playlists are all empty and I can't play anything. As far as I know this has nothing to do with regional availability.

Any advice? Thank you in advance!

Plan:

Free, Finland

Device

(MacBook Air 2015)

Operating System

(iOS 10.13.6)

My Question or IssueScreenshot 2019-05-24 13.48.52.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: All songs unplayable on Spotify desktop App

Hey @sinivuokkonen.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It sounds like there something up on your device. Could you try removing Spotify from your Host files to see if that solves the issue? You can read here how.

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that helps! Let us know if it didn't or if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Solution!

Hey @sinivuokkonen.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It sounds like there something up on your device. Could you try removing Spotify from your Host files to see if that solves the issue? You can read here how.

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that helps! Let us know if it didn't or if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

View solution in original post

Highlighted

sinivuokkonen
Casual Listener

Hi Guido! 

This resolved the problem - looks then like it was an issue with the server. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have my music back!!

All the best!

Highlighted

pleasehelpmeeee
Visitor

Hi! I'm having this same problem, but this solution is not helping. When I open 'hosts,' it does not say Spotify anywhere. Any other suggestions? I've already tried logging out on my MacBook and also on all of my devices, I've also deleted and reinstalled the app. The web browser player works just fine so I know it's not the speakers. 

Hi @pleasehelpmeeee,

I know you said you've already tried reinstalling the app. but do you mind doing another thorough reinstall? You'll find the steps for it here. Once reinstalled, go to Settings and turn off Enable hardware acceleration

It's also possible to manually override the host files, to make sure there's nothing blocking the app. Head here to find out how.

Also make sure your firewall software allows Spotify in- and outbound and If you have any anti-virus, anti-hack or any other anti-software installed, try to temporarily disable it, just long enough to test your Spotify issue

In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could tell us the exact make and model of the affected device, its operating system, as well as your Spotify version. Any screenshots you can provide will also be helpful to identify what's causing the issue.

Let us know how you get on. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

XeniaModerator
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen
SUGGESTED POSTS