Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alphabetical sorting of playlists - after all this years still impossible?

Alphabetical sorting of playlists - after all this years still impossible?

Plan

Premium

Country

Uk

Device

Macbook Pro

Operating System

Yosemite

Firstly, pleae do not delete this thread as has been done to my first one. I'm a PAYING CUSTOMER and I have a valide question/issue. Thank you.

The following post is borne out of frustration with the Spotify app on Mac desktop. 

My Question or Issue

Why is it NOT possible to sort playlists in an alphabetical order on the desktop computer with a simple automatic option?

On my mobile phone, the Spotify app has alphabetical sorting of playlists but on the desktop it does not. I am a relative new premium customer of yours, and can see that this has been asked over, and over, and over, and.....OVER again. See links to Spotify threads below.

I can not accept that the lack of alphabetical playlist sorting is due to any fundamental technical issues. So what is it? You don't like it? Why? It helps your customers (your CUSTOMERS, who have been requesting this for years) to manage and access playlists, so why can't you make it easy on the desktop to access playlists? You'd rather we do it manually and grab each playlist by hand and move it to its appropriate space in the alphabeticaly order? Really? Let's move on to the 21st century and allow our desktop computers do what they are designed to do: automate mundane tasks.

Every time I sit to listen to music on my computer I curse the Spotify app design and its refusal to help me auto sort the playlists as I desire. This is not rocket science and it should be possible to do. Why not? I ask you.

Why will you not implement auto-alphabetical playlist sorting on the desktop?

Here are your customers talking about the need for this feature in 2012!
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Alphabetizing-Playlist/td-p/36103

Here a post from 2015 with over 50 pages!
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Playlists-Sort-List-of-Playlists-alphabetically/idi-p/...

We should be able to easily sort playlists and songs in any way we desire. Alphabetical sorting is the fundamental type of sorting on a computer. WHY is it not possible on Spotify desktop app?

Thank you for reading.

6 Replies

Spotify for Mac is capable of sorting, not only alphabetically by title, but also by artist, album, date added, and even song length! Granted, it's not in the same place as it is on the ios version, but sorting can be achieved by clicking on the field you wish to sort by. So if you wanted to sort by title in your playlist, click on the "title" header at the top of the list. You'll see a green arrow appear. Clicking it again will cause the arrow to sort in the opposite direction, inverse aphabetical order!

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.38.26 AM.png

Hi,

thank you for your reply. However, you have misread my post. 

I’m not talking about sorting withing a playlist, I’m taking about sorting of the actual playlists. 

I have over 40 playlists (and adding more all the time) and the topic is about the unexplainable fact that it is NOT possible to sort these playlists on the desktop app by using the most common, most simple of sorting methods: alphabetical sorting. 

Yet, it is possible to do on my iOS version of Spotify.

Then, as you say, it is possible to do it with songs within a playlist. 

But, it is still not possible to auto-sort the playlists themselves. 

Why then, can’t we have the same green triangle as you showed, next to the PLAYLISTS word in the app, and in one second re-organise them? 

This lack of consistency across Spotify apps is mystifying and annoying. 

I am in complete agreement: it's ridiculous that playlists can't be sorted alphbetically on the desktop app.  

I am visually impaired, so apologies if I am repeating what someone else said.

You can sort it manually on Spotify desktop by dragging the playlist to the location you want.  I also have many (around 50) playlists, so it is a pain, but once done, you only have to drag new playlists to keep the sort order you want.

What kind of an answer is that? 

On spotify mobile, we can sort playlists alphabetically, but on spotify desktop we are asked to do it manually? With over 50 playlists (and growing) this is no fun. This is a totaly mystifying inconsistency as shown by Spotify. Completely unexplainable and inexcusable. 

For years, nothing has been done about it. 

Auto-sorting is what computers do best. This is the ABC of managing files on a computer.

the 101 of of file management: sort by name or date. The very basics. But oh so difficult for Spotify to implement. 

How would you feel if you had to ask Microsoft or Apple to allow you to auto-sort your file folders alphabetically? But their reply would be: “sure! You can do it already! Just do it manually!”

The mind boggles....

I am sorry my post bothered you…

I don’t work for Spotify, and don’t think this is the way that we should have to sort our  list of playlists. 

I was only giving a way  to get your list of playlists in order… Yes it is a pain, but it will take you less than 10 minutes,  and only has to be done once. 

Suggested posts