Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App freezes when playing ads

App freezes when playing ads

Apparently this bug has been reported numerous times, and each time the response is that it's been closed because the person didn't keep complaining. I have two laptops, with the app installed on each, and it's happening on both. One laptop is running Mavericks, the other one is running High Sierra. Both have the app installed. Both will simply freeze when an ad starts, though a concurrent odd behavior is that I'll get two ads, then a third will start and be cut off by music. I have now restarted the app on both laptops, multiple times today, and I've even reinstalled fresh on the Mavericks laptop. Nothing's fixing it. 

5 Replies

Have you tried hard resetting your computers? Also are they up to date?

For unrelated reasons, I've had to reboot one laptop today already; Spotify froze on that computer maybe an hour later, so I switched over to listening on the other laptop instead. The laptop on High Sierra is fully up-to-date, OSX-wise. The laptop with Mavericks is obviously not. Both have the most recent version of the spotify app. I have not reinstalled on the High Sierra laptop, but I have on the Mavericks laptop. 

And... it just froze again. It has done this in the past, irregularly, and shutting down the app and restarting it fixed the problem. This time, however, that's not fixing anything. I quit completely, re-open, and can play however many songs before an ad kicks in, and I get silence. 

On the plus side, I'm able to skip all the ads. Except for that troublesome aspect of having to quit and restart the app. Over and over. 

Do you have other tabs open?

Also go to task manager and look through everything. Task manager is in settings on computer.

Tabs where? I'm using the app, not the browser. If I have tabs open in the app, it's news to me. I force-quit spotify (instead of just quitting once it'd frozen), and check the activity logs; the two Spotify helpers also closed with the force quit. I let it play through, and it froze at the ad again, so one of those fixes worked, either. 

I've switched over to the webplayer now and... wow, this is a horrendous UX. Please help me fix the app so I can back to a moderately-usable interface. Thanks! 🙂

Update: the web interface on Firefox also freezes. It's the only tab open. If I refresh the page, it starts in a new place, halfway through a randomly-chosen song. Plays for about two songs and goes silent, frozen on another ad. 

Suggested posts