Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Apple Silicon and Spotify

Alex

Hey there @leoplan2,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Currently we have no official info on an exact date when Spotify is going to be released natively for the M1 chip. 

The developer team is constantly trying to improve the app and make it more widely available, so we'd recommend keeping your app up to date to get the newest releases.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Solution!

Alex

Hey there @leoplan2,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Currently we have no official info on an exact date when Spotify is going to be released natively for the M1 chip. 

The developer team is constantly trying to improve the app and make it more widely available, so we'd recommend keeping your app up to date to get the newest releases.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

View solution in original post

LeifLaCroix
Casual Listener

I cannot understand how you can be this irresponsible to these pleas. The person is basically saying that they might not be able to use the Desktop app because of the possibility that Rosetta 2 will be removed. They are saying that they are paying for this app and they may not use it.

And what's the response: 'Sorry. We are not considering it.' This is one of the worst attitudes an app company take to a common and reasonable plea.

You are already coding an app for iOS platform, which is not that different from coding for Apple Silicon platform. Just get a couple software engineers on it and get it done. It is not an unreasonable request.

XYuuuan

Hi Spotify staff,

It's ridiculous that you consider this post "solved". 

By saying "we do not have an official date for the Apple Silicon native version" doesn't mean you have solved the problem. If anything, you ignored the problem. 

This has been an issue ever since the release of the M1 chip (and as developers I'm sure you have been informed way before that), and the voice of Apple customers seems to be ignored on purpose.

Including me, I have already seen a couple of users cancelling their subscriptions. Just think of how many users will silently cancel whenever you see one posting about this.

Good luck Spotify. 

Movielad
Visitor
It's been nearly six months since the release of Apple Silicon Macs (plus a few months before that when the development kits were released), and with new Silicon Mac models being released later this year, the problem of not having native/Universal binary support is only going to get worse in the long run. Rosetta 2 is certainly convenient, but it does require a little more resources than a native app in order for it to run.
SUGGESTED POSTS