Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

18 Replies

macken_78
Visitor
Any updates on the situation with the desktop app for the M1 chip?

LazyLawyer332
Regular

@leoplan2 I am so sorry at how you have been treated by the Spotify corporation, which has still not followed up on your problem 3 months after you posted it. It is not fair, they do not respect you as a paid customer.

Keep an eye out for possible class action lawsuits (or consider starting one):
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-Apple-Silicon-Class-Action-Lawsuit/td-p/5223639

I am a lawyer, and I can tell any user would have standing in court, to sue for damages. Basically being able to show standing, is being able to show that you have been wronged in a way that can be resolved through the law (by the court system). Here the standing is that the company is in breach of contract (yes, they will say their web player works, but that is easy to counter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_(law)

trrutherford

Spotify are holding out as long as they can on this, trying to get brownie points with Epic ๐Ÿคจ

niccom
Visitor

JUNE 2021 -- I'm here because I googled "Spotify M1 mac problem" on my own. I've installed, and reinstalled, and it's still so glitchy. Come on, Spotify. Keep up or we'll just switch to Apple Music. Apple already knows what computers we're using... do you?

macksmose
Casual Listener

I've been using Spotify for about 7 years. I'm going to give this another week or two for a thorough fix, otherwise I'm canceling and switching to Apple Music.

I've had my m1 Mac for about 4 months. At first, I was happy to be patient with this, but as others have pointed out here, Spotify has had ample time to reconcile the issue.

LeifLaCroix
Regular
'Marked solved.' Of course, it is, since a solution for this company just consists in clicking a button on their forums rather than actually going and doing something about the problem.

Absolutely shame-less.

xzayda
Visitor

Well, what else to expect from typical corporation no mather it once was an innovative leader in its industry? how many meetings of XXX managers will have to be planned, how many spreadsheets and slides will be filled in, how many internal discussions have to be passed before a developer will be allowed to rebuild, test and deploy code to another architecture? PS shame on you, Spotify, even such a corporate as Adobe has already been able to do this with its Photoshop!

winkebruse
Visitor

For me, the reply of you guys are just not taking our demands seriously. Why is it so difficult to get it done, since there is already spotify app running on iphones. Did you check with your app developer? Give some real answer here please.

Alex

Hey there @leoplan2,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Currently we have no official info on an exact date when Spotify is going to be released natively for the M1 chip. 

The developer team is constantly trying to improve the app and make it more widely available, so we'd recommend keeping your app up to date to get the newest releases.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

โ€œWith freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?โ€ โ€• Oscar Wilde

yarnosh
Visitor

Spotify technically works under Rosetta, but I get periodic crashes and Intel processes consumer significantly more RAM. This is one of the few holdouts. I think only Steam is the other Intel processs I run (it crashes also randomly) I honestly don't see why this should be such a big issue as it's easy enough to just set the target arch in Xcode and build a universal binary. Unless there are some binary dependencies that haven't upgraded? Either way, this HAS TO BE on your roadmap. 

Alex_2132
Visitor

What a joke!

Itโ€™s been over 6 months since Apple has started selling Macs with Apple Silicone. And Spotify still doesnโ€™t have an app that runs natively for the newest devices on the one of (if not, THE) MOST popular laptop line ever??!!! VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Ph0enixx

There is also a Feature Request post with more than 2.3K votes and you guys aren't even considering it.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Developer-Add-support-for-Apple-Silicon-ARM64-on...

This is just next level BS.

AliceWonder
This is just ridiculous.

Your app is built on Electron, which supports M1 chips out-of-the-box since October 2020. The Electron team even made the manual for this:
https://www.electronjs.org/blog/apple-silicon
All you need is to point the target platform as Apple Silicon. I strongly hesitate that you have any major pitfalls with the new platform, considering the fact that your app works smoothly even on web (and Electron, surprise-surprise, is a web-based framework).

I am a bit worried about M1's SSD wear issues caused primarily by rosetta-translated apps. And that fact that you are just ignoring such easy and, at the same time, such important issue, says a lot about your attitude to your users. It's very disappointing.

macksmose
Casual Listener

aaaand I'm out. So long, Spotify. We had a good run of me ignoring my scruples about you ripping off the artists in favor of a really good product. As you're no longer satisfying the latter, I've unsubscribed.

mike_sde
Casual Listener
All the people here are correct.
I am a Spotify Premium subscriber for 5 years and I have been using an Apple silicon mac for the last month.
Numerous FREE (or free licence) apps like Firefox, JetBrains (CE) software, Zoom, Slack have had a dedicated M1 version since February.
Even the open-source community has been constantly implementing/rebuilding code for the M1 chips as well.
Running spotify under rosetta 2, even paused, drains the battery very fast. Even Youtube playing music on a browser is more energy efficient.
Your delay is irresponsible at least for a 5000 employee company.

Movielad
Visitor
It's been nearly six months since the release of Apple Silicon Macs (plus a few months before that when the development kits were released), and with new Silicon Mac models being released later this year, the problem of not having native/Universal binary support is only going to get worse in the long run. Rosetta 2 is certainly convenient, but it does require a little more resources than a native app in order for it to run.

XYuuuan

Hi Spotify staff,

It's ridiculous that you consider this post "solved". 

By saying "we do not have an official date for the Apple Silicon native version" doesn't mean you have solved the problem. If anything, you ignored the problem. 

This has been an issue ever since the release of the M1 chip (and as developers I'm sure you have been informed way before that), and the voice of Apple customers seems to be ignored on purpose.

Including me, I have already seen a couple of users cancelling their subscriptions. Just think of how many users will silently cancel whenever you see one posting about this.

Good luck Spotify. 

LeifLaCroix
Regular

I cannot understand how you can be this irresponsible to these pleas. The person is basically saying that they might not be able to use the Desktop app because of the possibility that Rosetta 2 will be removed. They are saying that they are paying for this app and they may not use it.

And what's the response: 'Sorry. We are not considering it.' This is one of the worst attitudes an app company take to a common and reasonable plea.

You are already coding an app for iOS platform, which is not that different from coding for Apple Silicon platform. Just get a couple software engineers on it and get it done. It is not an unreasonable request.

SUGGESTED POSTS