Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Artist page no longer displaying songs, only albums

Artist page no longer displaying songs, only albums

(There look to be discussions upon searching about this but unsure if same experience as of recent Apr/May 2020)

Complete list of songs in all albums used to be on display on the Artist's main page. What happened to it? It's only Popular/Top 5-10, complete list of albums/EPs. It changed! Is there something I'm missing with this experience?

Looking for a non-popular song by an artist sucks now. 🙂

-----Yes, you can search. But if the artist is, let's say "Pink", searching songs will get you Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, etc... and without the ability to sort the columns. 

-----Yes, you can go to the 'top tracks/this is' by that artist, but that's still not complete.

-----Yes, you can click into each album, but some artists have 100s+ of Albums, Singles, and EPs.

-----Yes, there was some solution for some specific code search function artist:pink something like that. But... that seems unnecessary right?

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

(iPhone 10, Macbook Pro 2019)

Operating System

(iOS 10)

My Question or Issue

18 Replies

Hey there @jessicap_abc

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Most common issues can be fixed with a quick reinstall of the app. In some situations however, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app might be needed. This way you can start afresh with Spotify on your iPhone. 

Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. 

In case this persists, do you mind sending us a screenshot showing how it looks on your end? Just attach the image to your next response to us. This way we can take a closer look at the issue. 

We'll look out for your reply. 

I'm not sure how that answer even attempts to address OP's question. I have the same problem. The three icons at the bottom of the app show "Home," "Search," and "Your Library." When I click on my "Your Library" I want to listen to the music in my "You Library" however I want. The the entire time I've had Spotify and been a Premium user I have been able to save whole albums or individual songs by an artist, which is consistent with the concept of "Your Library." Now when I got to my "Your Library," and click on the "Artists" tab I get a list of artists some of which have a green download icon. But when I click on the artist, I'm not seeing "Your Library" but the artist page. Why? That's ridiculous. There's no way to listen to "Your Library," but I can either listen to "Popular" tracks or click on an album and listen to that. I don't want to do that. I want to shuffle all of the artist's songs that I've downloaded and there's no way to do that other than to click the shuffle/play button. But that plays everything by the artist. I don't want that. That's not what "Your Library" means. If I don't want to listen to some dumb Spotify Sessions recording or something else, tough **bleep**. You've ruined my Spotify listening experience Spotify because you removed the single most common way that I listen to music.

I was hoping someone would agree this answer from moderator didn't address the issue! 🙂

Screen shots, IMHO, shouldn't be needed to explain. But here they are.

In a simple way (choosing Pink because she's an artist with a name common in other artists' names and songs) --- "Show me all the songs by Pink". How can that be done with the UI change to the artist's main page? The full song list used to be under Popular Songs where "Merch" now is, followed by "Albums".

That UI change is what we're saying sucks. Especially when trying to find an obscure song by a single particular artist.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.52.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.51.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.55.31 AM.png

At this point, Spotify needs to make another UI update by renaming "Your Library" because that's not what it is. It in no way takes me to the library that I've been curating for years. In order to get what I want out of the new UI I would have to go to the complete collection that almost every artist has and "hide" the songs that I don't want to listen to. That's a monumental task. Or if like you I want to find an obscure song I either have to search for it or just start clicking on albums in an artist's discography if I can't remember what album the song is on. This is unreasonable for bands that have a couple dozen albums. Spotify really needs to fix this or I'm basically gonna have to cancel my Premium subscription. It doesn't make sense to pay for a service that doesn't let me listen how I want.

I completely agree with the replies here, the mot important functionality here is to be able to find songs in a granular way. This seems a mistaken UX decision someone took, please get us back that functionality, there are many valid reasons to get it back. This totally kills the "exploring new music" aspect of an artist page and all it's music. 

Hi there folks,

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Also, with the current New Desktop Experience test going on it would be a great time to share your opinion on what changes you'd like to see in the Desktop app in the future. So I'd also suggest adding your feedback in the thread.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yikes this still doesn't answer! It's not an "idea" but rather why did this feature go away from the UX on a song-based platform?

If moderator can answer "How can a user see ALL songs from the artist Pink?" then we're good. Else this is still a weird feature change, not a new idea...

Again, it used to be on "Pink's" artist page, now it is not and still is not. And search still shows Aerosmith, Pink Floyd songs, etc...

100% agree with this request and subsequent misunderstanding from the moderator in the suggestion to submit an idea (which was the response I also received when I posted about this in the new beta here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/New-Desktop-Experience-your-feedback-wanted/m-p/513...). 

The request to be able to go to the artist page and see all songs is a feature that was absolutely in the older versions of Spotify.  The screenshot attached to this post is from version 1.1.42.622, released for Macs on Oct, 2020 - you'll see the artist page where the songs within each album are displayed, and you can scroll down to see the entire canon of an artist at the song level. This is what (I think, correct me if I'm wrong, fellow users) would like back.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.27.27 PM.png

Yep! Oh good screen shot. In addition, however, there was a collapsible "Songs" list above the albums breakdown you're showing in the former UI - just like current search displays, but only for that artist. Perhaps it didn't jive with the noise of the artist home page but it's bizarre that they would just remove this ability completely. Thanks for the backup!

It really bothers me this is the moderators answer. It's not how they're going to fix the problem or why they took the functionality away. Just a feeble attempt to make their "community" more than it actually needs to be. How about testing new UI updates in closed beta testing before launching to the public and "getting feedback"?

It's May 2021. No solution, others that agree, and still no response?

It's still *impossible* to show a full list of all songs by "Pink".

(again, just a good example of an artist with a name that's common in other artists' songs/names so "search all songs by pink" still is: Pink Floyd, Nicki Minaj album, Aerosmith, etc... even "Baby Shark" is by Pinkfong, ack! lol...)

I'm currently tethered to this service with the organization of my (+S/O's) playlists since 2010 but this lack of not being able to see all songs still actively bothers me. Might take some time make the switch.

Anyone have suggestions on another streaming service? 🙂

I hate this change and I don't understand who thought it was a good idea. I'm going to cancel.

Why are you pretending a change in your app is a user end error? Are you dense?

Taking away the ability to browse songs by artist is ridiculous!  Why would you do this!?!?

Hi there folk,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

The best way to provide your feedback regarding the new desktop is here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Nooooooooo. Lolll... No reply is better than this canned reply. Almost comical, right?

In sum: why did a feature get removed to view all songs by a single artist? Not just desktop...

Hi there @ jessicap_abc and @Aemonn,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

As mentioned in my reply above we suggest that you head over to the thread that's provided in the reply to leave your feedback as the feedback in that thread reach the develepors directly.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts