Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Audio in app is defaulting to Internal Speakers

Solved!

Audio in app is defaulting to Internal Speakers

I've recently got a new iMac and I hooked my bluetooth speakers up to it. My bluetooth speakers are my default audio device on my mac - and you can't set specific audio for a specific app annoyingly. When I first started using the Spotify app it all seemed good, but I found after having it paused for some time and resuming it I was getting no audio though the track was still playing.

With this I decided to restart the Spotify app but got the same issue after having it paused for some time - maybe about 5 minutes or more? As I have my internal audio turned down to mute - so I don't get the Mac start up noise whenever I turn it on - I didn't realise for a while that it's actually playing through my internal speakers.  This is weird as I mentioned above you can't set specific audio devices for specific apps so no idea how or why this is happening.

I've restarted my computer several times, done a fresh install of Spotify twice with the second wiping all traces of it from my computer but still nothing. The only time it is fixed is when I restart the Spotify app but the issue just repeats when it's been paused. Any advice would be heavenly as I feel like I've tried everything.

Device

iMac Late 2015

Operating System

iOS 10.14.6

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @AlienOfRoswell,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

This is something we weren't able to reproduce on our end and it seems to be connected to the configuration on your specific device. 

We'd advice contacting the IT department of your company for assistance with setting up your Bluetooth speakers as default audio output for all applications.

This might be resolved in a future update of the app, so it's a good idea to enable Automatic updates.

In the meantime you can still enjoy your music via the Web player.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

So after a year this is finally solved! My IT guy came me back some admin permission he'd revoked ages ago and for some reason that has seemed to fix all issues.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hey @AlienOfRoswell,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

We'd also recommend to remove (unpair) the Bluetooth  speakers from your Mac's device list, restart it and connect them again.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mihail Moderator

Hey Mihail,

Can confirm I've tried everything you've listed here.

Hey there @AlienOfRoswell,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you check how much storage you have on the device?

Also - can you try to play Spotify from another device to see if the issue persists?

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy,

First off, I re-paired the speakers and it seemed to work for a time which is why I marked the previous post as a solution but the same thing is occurring again.

I have plenty of storage on my device as I keep it fairly tidy and the issue has been persisting since the moment I received this computer.

Spotify works through every other device I have as I use it regularly.

The version I use is 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Hey @AlienOfRoswell,

Thanks for getting back to us with the results.

The fact that the unpairing worked, albeit for a while point that something is interfering with the Bluetooth connection on that specific device. It's a good idea to make sure that your PC has the latest firmware installed. if afterwards the issue persists we recommend that you do a hard reset of the device. You can reach out to Apple's Customer Service here and they'll be more than happy to help you back up your data.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator

Hey Mihail,

First off, I'm almost certain unpairing was the same solution as restarting Spotify as I use my speakers continually and have no issue with them.

I'm not able to do a hard reset of the device as it's a work-related computer that has been lent to be to work from home with.

If this issue can't be fixed currently I may have to use a different music software to play my music until it is fixed.

Thanks anyway,
Roswell

Thanks for the info.

Since we are not able to reproduce this on our end, we can't point exactly where the issue is coming from. 

What you can try is to use Spotify Connect and open up the app both on your computer and phone. Check out if it runs normally if you're playing music from your phone, but have selected the Mac as the Now playing device. Another option would be to stream music from the Web player.

Let us know if any of this makes a difference.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Thanks 🙂

AlexModerator

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the response, still no luck unfortunately.

It's a pain as I use spotify often.

Thanks for the help anyway

Hi again @AlienOfRoswell,

Thanks for getting back in touch. No worries, there's also a few other things we can try.

We suggest that you try switching the output settings on your computer. To do so, head over to System Preferences > Sound > Output. Let us know if this makes the difference. 

On another note, could you let us know what exactly happened when you tried with the web player?

Cheers - We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

ElenaModerator

Hi Elena,

Apologies for the delayed response.

The app plays through my internal speakers which is why I can't hear anything when I have the bluetooth device selected. This occurs even when I switch back and forth between devices and is only fixed when I restart the app which I've mentioned previously.

The web player plays through my bluetooth speakers but when I switch to the app through it, it plays through the internal speakers again meaning I can't hear anything.

Marked as solution

Thanks for the reply and the info.

This is something we weren't able to reproduce on our end and it seems to be connected to the configuration on your specific device. 

We'd advice contacting the IT department of your company for assistance with setting up your Bluetooth speakers as default audio output for all applications.

This might be resolved in a future update of the app, so it's a good idea to enable Automatic updates.

In the meantime you can still enjoy your music via the Web player.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Marked as solution

So after a year this is finally solved! My IT guy came me back some admin permission he'd revoked ages ago and for some reason that has seemed to fix all issues.

Hi again @AlienOfRoswell,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're glad to see that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Have a great start of your weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts