Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BUG: Full Screen Desktop Thumbnail Showing A Blank Black Image

BUG: Full Screen Desktop Thumbnail Showing A Blank Black Image

Happen on MacOS 10.14.6 (18G84).

When using Spotify on full screen, the top desktop thumbnail is missing and we get just a black square.
It used to work OK a few months back.
Tried to reinstall spotify, I updated MacOS several times on the last few months.
After sawing this phenomenon on other computers of my colleagues I decided to share this issue.

It feels like the app is not rendered while not on focus.
Once going back to Spotify the UI renders and you can see the black background for few milliseconds before it loads.

* Easy to reproduce.

Attached image showing the black screen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 2.23.03 PM.png
10 Replies

Hey @Sooperman, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you try disabling Hardware Acceleration, you can do that from the Spotify option in the Menu Bar.

Also, if possible coud you try this in a new user account in your Mac?

Keep me posted 🙂

Hi @Loxer,

Disabling the Hardware Acceleration did the job.

I created a new user for you mate, black screen still happened - Hardware Acceleration was enabled by default.

Best,

Sooperman

Hello !

I have the same problem, but disabling Adware Acceleration did not help. I still have the black screen.
Do you please have any other solution ?

Thanks !!

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 22.25.49.png

Hey @debbiedjr, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Also, make sure to have macOS Mojave 10.14.6 installed.

If that didn'g do the trick try using Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices options from your Spotify account.

If the issue persists, could try following the steps from this Spotiy Answer?

Thanks 🙂

Thank you a lot for your reply and your reply, but I'm afraid my Spotify apps do not like my Mac.

I tried everything, I deleted Caches and Application support on the library of the Mac, nothing is working. And I have 10.14.6 version.

I just followed the procedure you send me, from the other discussion. And it still doesn't work. No more idea, I'm lucky it is still working on my phone.

Hey @debbiedjr,

Could you try that from another user account in your Mac and install Spotify there?

Thanks 🙂

Thank you a lot for your help but I can not login or logout on my Mac, nothing on the app is working. On my phone, I did the "logout from everywhere", which worked on my phone but nothing happen on the Mac. 

Hey @debbiedjr,

What do you mean by "I can not login or logout on my Mac"?

On the Spotify app on my Mac, I join a picture

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 22.52.05.png

I thought this might go away on its own... I noticed the full-screen view for Spotify not showing a thumbnail too but I've done the same and turned off hardware acceleration to fix it. Does it matter that I'm not using hardware acceleration now though?

Cheers

Suggested posts