Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black Screen Spotify Mac

Black Screen Spotify Mac

Brief description of the issue: I am trying to download Spotify to a Mac Desktop. I have tried several times and used different internet browsers. 

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. First I installed the app from https://www.spotify.com/us/download/mac/
  2. Then I tried to open it, once it opened a black screen appeared and stayed. 
  3. I also tried the re-installing steps on the website. I found these directions hard to follow & possibly out of date with the current Mac software or incompatible with my current software. https://support.spotify.com/us/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/

What steps you’ve tried already: I have tried installing and reinstalling the app per instructions online. 

Your device and operating system: MacBook Pro 13inch Early 2011. Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free (Spotify Artist)

The app version of Spotify you’re using: I tried current and 10.5.

Any screenshots, if they can help to explain your issue: I have attached a screenshot of the black screen I am seeing.

Thank you

Spotify Screenshot.png
11 Replies

Hey @stevengravesmus, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Thank you for the detailed information and the steps you took to address this issue.

Make sure Spotify's window is currently active. If that's so, just click on the Spotify menu next to the Apple logo menu and find Hardware Acceleration. Click to disable it and restart Spotify. It should be back to normal now.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

I have the same problem with my spotify, followed your directions, and I still have the black screen. I have completely deleted it from my computer and reinstalled, and tried messing around with different files, but nothing is changing. Any other pointers?

Hey @Azluk,

Could you please try to create another user account on your Mac and install Spotify there?

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Thank you for your help. I have tried that and it did not work. I will try to create anther account on my Mac and try to download it there. 

so this issue has been around for a while now...

any chance you could finally fix it? it's getting really tiresome...

i have tried ALL the solutions proposed in this thread and elsewhere, but still get this glitch (on two different macs!)

PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I had the same problem so I followed your instructions and it worked a treat.

Thank you so much.

Brisco1.

Could you explain with more details what you do and how you do that .

@Brisco1

Hi, At the top of the screen there is a bar with lots of options. You should see the Apple icon then Spotify then file etc. If you click on Spotify a menu drops down. Select the one which says “hardware acceleration”. If it is ticked then click it again to unstick it. That cured the problem for me. You may have to restart. I hope that helps.
Brisco1

Having the same issue, disabling Hardware Acceleration temporarily solves the problem but it eventually goes black again and I have to restart Spotify every time it goes out.

Hi, the first time I tried it it worked fine, then as you said it went black again so I tried restarting my computer ( I use a Macbook pro laptop ) and since then it has been fine. I don’t know if that would help. I am not very good with computers in general but this worked for me.

Suggested posts