Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black screen for Spotify Mac Desktop

Black screen for Spotify Mac Desktop

Hello to everyone,

It's been a while that I can't use Spotify on Mac (Catalina 10.15.3), I just have a black screen.

Of course I re-instal many times, I also disabled hardware acceleration. Some previous help told my to change lines of code on the library, but It did not work either.

Nothing change, and I am annoyed now. 

Do you please have any idea how to fix that ?

Thanks a lot !

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 10.32.49.png
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 10.32.57.png
69 Replies

Hey there @debbiedjr

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Most common issues can be fixed with a quick reinstall of the app. In some situations however, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app might be needed. This way, you can start afresh with Spotify on your device. 

Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on your Mac. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

I've tried but still not work

me either

No it didn't work. But you can’t update the app once every three to four months and think that’s going to be enough.

Hey there @Ciunas,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

We'd like to add a few more troubleshooting steps to the ones you've tried already. Can you try restarting the Mac? If that doesn't do the trick, you can check these steps and launch the app in Mac safe mode.

If you still experience the same issue, we'd suggest a friend of yours to try with their account on your device. That way, we can check if it is an account-related issue.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

**bleep**ing fix this already!!!

it's driving me nuts

piece of junk app

Hey @pich747!

Sorry to hear you feel like this. We'd like to help you solve this.

This issue might be caused by multiple factors and to troubleshoot this further we'll need to know what steps you've tried so far to solve this.

There are some good suggestions in this thread - starting from a clean reinstall and disabling hardware acceleration and moving on to reinstalling the app in Safe mode.

Feel free to let us know what you've tried and we'll see what else we can suggest.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

For me, clearing the prefs file helped - ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs.

After you clear this file, Spotify app will start will fresh configurations and will ask you to login once again. That fixed the issue for me and hope it works for you guys too.

This worked for me too 👍

Clearing the prefs file as suggested by @hvarday does the trick. Simple.

Spotify ought to know this. There are sooo many threads out there with this issue.

Clearing the prefs file is a simple solution.

glad it worked for you guys...

i tried this as well (again and again) - along with multiple clean installs, disabling hardware acceleration, and even some terminal tweaking (i forget the exact command; found it on one of these forums, didn't help).

if anything, the problem seems to have gotten worse - sometimes the screen goes black before i can even start playing music.

this is frustrating af. can't believe the company still hasn't fixed the problem after friggin' YEARS!

Hey there @pich747

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

We suggest that you continue your troubleshooting by checking your host files by following the steps from this article.

Also, could you let us know if this is happening only on a specific device or on other PCs too?

We'll be waiting for your reply 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This worked! Thank you!

Hi @omnibar,

Thanks for posting on this thread and welcome to the Community!

We're glad to know that it worked and everything is running as expected now.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Deleting the prefs as explained above also works for me. But every time I have to restart Spotify, the black screen appears again I don't delete the prefs before, kind of annoying still. 

Hi there @mede,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Do you mean deleting the host file entries?

We'd recommend running a clean reinstall of the app by following this Spotify guide exactly. 

Let us know if you still get a black screen on every start up after that.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Solved my problem! Thank you!!

Hey @cheloscar

Great news! If you have any questions we're always one post away. 

Еnjoy your music!

This worked, thank you so much!

Suggested posts