Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black screen for Spotify Mac Desktop

Black screen for Spotify Mac Desktop

Hello to everyone,

It's been a while that I can't use Spotify on Mac (Catalina 10.15.3), I just have a black screen.

Of course I re-instal many times, I also disabled hardware acceleration. Some previous help told my to change lines of code on the library, but It did not work either.

Nothing change, and I am annoyed now. 

Do you please have any idea how to fix that ?

Thanks a lot !

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 10.32.49.png
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 10.32.57.png
Top Answer
sam-114
Casual Listener
Top Answer
dvukmiro
Casual Listener
Copying and pasting the link made all the difference! Thank you.
69 Replies

It's funny but sad that all the official Spotify moderators reply with completely useless generic troubleshooting steps that are their stock responses to all problems they don't know how to fix, and yet it's a normal customer who ends up using his brain to actually solve the problem.

Have the same problem. Spotify please fix this!

Re-opening after deleting the prefs file works, but once I click on login with facebook it turns black again.Only a clean reinstallation seems to do the trick for me. But I find it senseless to reinstall an app every time I want to use it. 

Hi there @kabirrmerani,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you try logging in through Facebook with a different account to see if the issue persist? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thank you hvarday, this worked!

same to me

i also have the same problem. my spotify is just a black screen. i did try all of of those solutions above but nothing works for me

Hey @trucyboo,

Thanks for the post!

Have you tried logging in with a different account, like @Jeremy has suggested?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

as soon as i open the spotify app, it gives my the black screen, so there was no login screen or anything to put in the login information

Hi @trucyboo,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you let us know your exact computer model, OS version and Spotify version, and also what specific troubleshooting you've done so far, so that we can offer more relevant advice 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I have a macbook pro 2020, OS version 11.4, and the spotify version
is 1.1.64.561.g71bd09eb. I tried to disable hardware acceleration, deleted
the prefs file, and did a clean reinstall of the apps.

Hi @trucyboo,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you try reinstalling the app in safe mode?

Also, if you're using any VPN, can you disable it to see if the issue persists.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

The clean reinstall / delete numerous files method provided by the SPOTIFY team NEVER works for me .  I am running Big Spur 11.5.1  However I have found a solution from a random blog from Taiwan. I was running system language as Traditional Chinese, no matter how I reinstall it still give me black screen.

the solution is change system language back to English. "System Preferences" > "Region & Language" ..... If it doesn't work, try different English i.e.English (UK) / English (US) etc....

I am not sure how many  people use other system language but this definitely gave me instances fix!

Hope this helps  

By the way, Spotify team, if you reading this, please fix the issue, this was an ongoing issue since as early as 2019.... seems like you need to hire more talented people.

I tried everything : 

- Reinstall 3 time 

- Hardware acceleration 

- and clearing the files 

Now I can't go to Spotify cause of the black screen but now I'm disconnected 

Before I resin talle I could play some music thanks to the shortcut but now I'm logged out 

Can you help me ??

Hey @zfddsdf,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community.

Good job on the troubleshooting you've tried so far, but we just wanted to make sure if you've checked your hosts files with the steps here?

It's also a good idea to restart your computer in Safe mode to check if the app works as intended.

If not, could you let us know your OS and if you're able to use the web player?

Keep us in the loop.

ElenaModerator

Worked for me on Mac OS 11.5.2. However, in that case, I may have to change the language of the system to English just for this only app?

As I can see, in the system language setting panel, you can respectively set language to specified language. Although I tried that and set that of Spotify's to English, the black screen still occurs. 

Also, this happens when I physically changed my location from mainland China to Hong Kong, China. In mainland China with same settings, the problem doesn't exist.

bobhunnanjing_0-1629269116884.png

I have the same problem its been more than 4 months now and all its showing is a black screen if anyone has a solution for this please lmk. Also i use mac Catalina 10.15.7 so yeah i really hope there's a solution for this.

Hey there @cocoisepic

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome!

Would you mind letting us know if you notice any difference after following @hvarday's previous suggestion here?

If this doesn't do the trick, we'd recommend checking these steps to launch the app in Mac safe mode.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

My issue is that when I go to ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs, there is no folder that is named Spotify. So I can't delete anything. Even after a full uninstall and re-install. Please help!

Hi @dvukmiro,

Thank you for your reply!

Please make sure you're accessing as administrator before following those steps. If you're still not able to find the folder, try copying and pasting the route directly on your Finder.

If this doesn't do the trick, let us know if you were able to run your Mac on Safe Mode, and if you noticed any difference.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Copying and pasting the link made all the difference! Thank you.

Suggested posts