Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Broken proxy settings, No internet connection detected / Error code: 4 / Offline

Broken proxy settings, No internet connection detected / Error code: 4 / Offline

Spotify was telling me I was offline, I tried lots of stuff, eventually cleared cache and reinstalled. Now I can't even log in via Facebook.

I think it's related to Spotify's utterly broken support for proxies.

Proxy autodetect has never worked on Mac. Manual setting was a feasible, if annoying, workaround until a couple of weeks ago. Since then, even the manual setting doesn't work.

This is how Spotify parses the proxy settings now:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 14.27.23.png 

This is what then appears in /Users/myuser/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs:

network.proxy.addr="https://myproxy.com:8081@http"

...which I assume is wrong.

Fixing it in the prefs file directly doesn't seem to help.

Initially, I was logged, it was telling me I was offline. I tried changing proxy settings, googled, decided to delete all spotify files (incl. cache) and reinstall it from scratch.

Didn't help, now I can't even log in via Facebook. I assume it's the proxy problem.

How did this get past testing?

It's seriously annoying given that there has always been some issue with using Spotify from behind corporate proxies. 

Please, fix the proxy settings and proxy Auto detect finally!

I like Spotify but I'll start exploring alternatives.

10 Replies

Some ideas? Somehow I was temporarily able to fix it by manually editing the prefs file.

Spotify broke it again and the situation is again as above - it says I'm offline and the proxy settings are displayed as in the screenshot.

Hey @jakot

Seems like you're having an issue worth investigating.

Please search for the issue in the ongoing issues board and post there to be in the loop. If it doesn't exist you can create a new topic, so it can fixed. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the board and couldn't find a similar issue.

It seems I cannot create a new topic there... 

@jakot

That's weird. Any error messages?

osorniosSpotify Star

@osornios no error messages, I just don't see the Create new topic button

I have this same problem!!! I just keep clicking on the blue fb log in button but it does nothing. Spotify fix this please!!

@osornios This is clearly a bug, I know that my colleagues experience it too (I haven't checked if it's exactly the same, but it is a proxy problem).

I would love to file a bug report somewhere where devs would actually notice it but I cant post to the https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/idb-p/ongoing_issues board. I can even help to debug the problem, I'm definitely technical enough

two weeks gone, so a bump, sorry and thanks in advance

The proxy issue still lasts. Has someone from Spotify looked into it yet?

@jakot

You should fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help you within 24 hrs.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, you can tweet @SpotifyCares or message Spotify Cares Facebook.

Let me know how it goes.

osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts