Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug: switch playback from ios to macos, turn off ios headphones, macos stops playing

Bug: switch playback from ios to macos, turn off ios headphones, macos stops playing

Premium plan in USA, iPhone 8 running iOS 12.4 and Spotify 8.5.17.713, macOS 10.14.5 with Spotify 1.1.4.197.g92d52c4f.

Steps:

1. Play music in Spotify on iOS while using Bluetooth headphones

2. In Spotify on macOS use the "Connect to a device" control to switch to macOS

3. Turn off Bluetooth headphones

Actual result:

Music switches from playing on iOS to playing on macOS as expected, but when the headphones on the iOS device are then turned off, the music stops playing.

Expected result:

Once playback has transferred to the desktop, turning off the iOS headphones does not impact playback.

4 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

I'd also recommend updatin to macOS 10.14.6 🙂

I just tested on my end and I can't reproduce it. After I change the playback from my iPhone to the Mac while my headphones are still on it just takes a couple of seconds before the headphones don't output sound and output is fully switched to macOS.

Then I turned my headphones off normally and music continued playing in macOS.

Let me know how that goes.

I updated macOS and the macOS Spotify app, and restarted my phone. I was unable to reproduce the original problem. However, the first time I tried, I ran into another problem: switching to "this computer" on the macOS Spotify app stopped playback on the iOS Spotify app and the desktop app gave the appearance of playing, but no sound came out on the desktop computer. This new problem was no longer reproducible once I restarted the desktop Spotify app (version 1.1.4.197.g92d52c4f).

I was just able to reproduce the problem again, with the latest versions of all software. iOS 12.4, Spotify for iOS 8.5.19.947, macOS 10.14.6 (18G87), Spotify for macOS 1.1.12.451.gdb77255f. Perhaps the particular Bluetooth headset matters; in this case I was using Bose SoundSport headphones.

And now I just reproduced the bug with a different method:

1. Play music on Spotify app on macOS

2. Connect Bluetooth headphones on iOS (playback continues on iOS)

3. When playback switches to iOS, tell desktop app to switch to desktop playback (playback resumes on desktop)

4. Disconnect Bluetooth headphones on iOS

Result: playback stops on desktop Spotify app

Expected result: disconnecting iOS headphones does not stop desktop playback

Clearly there's a bug here. 

Suggested posts