Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Burn To CD

Burn To CD

In spotify It says Itunes on the left side. I have created a new play list in Itunes and called it burn. So I can burn my CD's in Itunes. Now burn shows up in spotify but when I go to add a song from spotify to the new playlist called burn. It doesn't show up in burn in my Itunes. Why is this.

How do I get it onto my CD collection in itunes so I can play it in my car?

80 Replies

Whilst you can import iTunes playlists into Spotify, it doesn't work the other way. It's more like a copy of your playlists, rather than something that can be added to within Spotify for use in iTunes.

And to burn tracks onto a CD you'd need to purchase them (using the Download store, in Europe, for instance). Tracks just synced from Spotify can't be put onto a CD (or else it would be possible to burn thousands of songs then cancel the subscription).

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

But I have spotify premium. What's the point of paying a monthly subscription if I have to purchase the tracks. I thought spotify was take your music everywhere. What about if everywhere is in your car for work.

So what's the point of paying a monthly subscription. Just to get adds removed & so you can play songs on your iphone or android phone. Plus you still have to deal with your monthly quota usage.

You need to find a way to solve this problem so you can take your music everywhere.

To clarify, there aren't any usage limits with a paid account, you can listen as much as you like.

And you can sync up to 3,333 songs to any supported mobile device without having to pay anything extra.

It's just when burning to a CD that you'd need to purchase the tracks. Since we couldn't verify your subscription was still active when the tracks get burnt to a CD we wouldn't be able to unsync them if you stopped paying.

We also wouldn't know how many times each track was played and be able to compensate the artists appropriately.

Does that make sense?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

So Telstra aren't going to add data usage when I stream songs from spotify to my Android phone. So are you saying that it is unmetered through Telstra?

Streaming songs from Spotify will use bandwidth yes.

But Premium users don't need to stream all their music. With Offline Mode you can 'sync' up to 3,333 songs to be played from your computer/device, even without an internet connection.

Any more questions?

I think what Rich is trying to explain is if your device (Phone, Tablet, Laptop, etc) has WIFI availability you can download your playlist and play it offline without using any mobile data. I was at the airport the other day and was able to download a couple new albums (as playlists) using the airport WIFI and by the time I boarded the plane I had all my songs on the device so I could shut down the 3g and WIFI. Worked great.

(Droid Does)

How do I burn tracks to a CD? Before you tell me I can't - I am a Premium user AND I have purchased and downloaded the tracks I want to burn. They are for my five-tear-old nephew to play in the car (he doesn't have a smartphone!)

Spotify says you can burn a CD if you have purchsed the tracks - but I can't find out how to do it. Every query I've looked up just ends up turning up lots of forum posts explaining that you can't do it unless you purchase the tracks. I've done that - now what?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Spotify can't actually burn songs to a CD.

You will have to import the songs into a 3rd party program and burn them using that program.

Explained here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Burn-on-CD/m-p/14653

"While you can purchase and download songs via Spotify, the option to burn CDs isn't available. 

Just download your Spotify purchases to your desktop and burn the CD using an alternative program."

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Burning songs to a CD is EXACTLY the same as syncing them to an iPod!!!

---If I sync my iPod then cancel my subscription I have the songs as long as I want them, and even longer if I use one of MANY apps that are designed to extract songs from an iPod as data!

---If I burn the songs to a CD most likely the CD will get scratched, ruined, or lossed.

I have the Premium subscription and it's total BS that I can't burn a simple CD!!! 

LAME!!!!!!

@SBC wrote:

Burning songs to a CD is EXACTLY the same as syncing them to an iPod!!!

---If I sync my iPod then cancel my subscription I have the songs as long as I want them, and even longer if I use one of MANY apps that are designed to extract songs from an iPod as data!

You are incorrect actually. 

Spotify will only allow you to sync tracks which you already own to an iPod (unless it is a touch). Therefore, cancelling your subscription would make no difference, seeing as you already own those tracks. If you already own those tracks, there is nothing stopping you burning them to a CD. 

If you have an iPod touch, you can use the Spotify application to listen to Spotify tracks, but you need to keep your subscription active as the application will check.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You can take your smug "actually" and GFY. YOU are incorrect, Period. I synced all my songs to my iPod classic. What now petey?!!!

You missed my point entirely. If I am paying a premium for a service I expect premium service. CD's are an antiquated platform anyways! Let the people have their CD's! Figure out a song coding solution or something! Make it difficult and that will inherently solve the problem. Limit the CD burning to 10 songs a month THEN CHARGE $10 / month for the PREMIUM cd burning account. Whatever you do stop adding "actually" at the end of your weak sophomoric arguments.

Thanks for playin pete. I'm now having an even worse Spotify experience.

SBC - Please calm down, hammeh was only trying to help. He's right though, you can't burn songs from the Spotify streaming catalogue onto CD or sync them with an iPod classic.

Where streaming music is concerned, Spotify relies upon a kind of "closed system". It needs to do this so that all plays can be logged, rightsholders can be compensated and so access to the music can be controlled. Streaming music can only be synced to Spotify apps.

If it were possible to sync streaming music to a device that does not support a Spotify app (eg iPod classic) or burn Spotify's music to a CD, then you would be able to walk off with as many tunes as you like for the payment of one month's subscription. I'm not sure if any artist or composer would be happy with that.

However, the idea behind Spotify is essentially a hybrid model. You can combine your streaming library with your existing library of music files, and keep them all in the same place, and mix the two up in playlists.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

lol! Calm down? Are we on an airplane? Are there secret words I'm not allowed to use? Spotify is not the BZoMB! lol. You guys are lame, and have helped in no way. I only posted for clarification, instead I'm now arguing with two people? I'm just gonna cancel my account now. That way if I'm not satisfied it doesn't matter because I won't expect to be treated like a customer anymore.

Keep up the... Uh... Whatever you guys are doing.

There aren't codewords you aren't allowed to use obviously, but posting GFY is generally bad mannors.

And I was only trying to help clarify the situation, to help you and other community members out 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

SBC - I apologise, I was only trying to be polite. I'm in no way arguing with you. I'm just explaining what you can and can't do with the service, and why these are your options. Totally innocent.

The calm down was for the 'GFY' you used in your previous post to another user, who was only trying to help. Was a little aggressive.
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Actually, No they will only stay on your iPod for a limited time, even if you haven't gone online again (I think 30 days?). If you do go online, and have cancelled your subscription, bye bye songs.

So it is NOT EXACTLY the same.

Banda76 - You're right, but this only applies to the iPod touch.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

If you really want to play the songs in your car there are two options both of which require you to use offline mode and your phone or ipod. One requires a cd player that accepts aux plugins, the other is what I use, a short wave fm radio transmitter that plays your phones audio through your radio using short wave frquencies. If you're still complaining about not being able to use a cd, wake up the world is going digital you'll have to cope.

Bryan- I use the Aux imput or stream via Bluetooth on my Audi and Jeep. FM Modulators have horrible sound quality especially on the low end.

Sam, banda, and petey, I originally posted because I just got a truck that only has a cd player (Obviously no aux imput or Bluetooth). For the last 1.5 years that I've had Spotify I just assumed I could burn a CD if I needed to. 

I said burning songs to a CD is the same as burning them to an iPod. Obviously my point was lost on a couple people, so;

Absolute's

CD's store data

DVD's store data

External hard drives store data

iPod's store data (Because they are basically external hard drives)

Computer's store data

Variables

Software

File types / Encoding / DRM

Storage capacity

On the inside of computer's, external hard drives, and iPod classic's you will find a small disk that store's data. If you took this small disc out and made it larger and more durable you could call it a compact disc. CD??? WAIT, WHAT???!!! Holy shnike's!!!!

My point and problem with Spotify remain's the same: I fail to believe Spotify as a whole lacks the ability to produce a system in which somebody can burn a CD.  

YOUR lack of imagination and quickness to regurgitate the rules and limitation's is hilarious and resonate's a hall monitor tone. After all, burning songs from Spotify (Even the ones I imported from iTunes) to a CD or my iPod, External hard drive, computer, or whatever else.... Is fundamentally the same thing. It only encourages me to use iTunes again.

Regardless of what Spotify can or can't do, the arrogant DB's on this little discussion ultimately ended up being the bigger reason why I cancelled my subscription because for $10 / month you can [bit rude - mod]. I posted only so that other's can share my antipathy. 

"F- Rap you can have it back!" Oh, and Spotify too. 

Suggested posts