Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can no longer drag songs from iTunes to Spotify and other problems...

Can no longer drag songs from iTunes to Spotify and other problems...

I drag songs (MP3s) from iTunes to Spotify playlists when Spotify does not have teh track.  It has always worked fine.  Then two days ago it just stopped working.  Looks like the drag is working but it just wont drop and appear in Spotify.  No error message, just doesnt drop.  Been trying various things and nothing has worked but in investigating also found I can no longer drag any songs from the LOCAL FILES on Spotify (that is showing all my up to date tunes from iTunes) to SONGS under YOUR MUSIC.  Just wont drag across.  I have also noticed at the same time that under the FILE menu in Spotify all of a sudden and at the same time as all teh above all that shows is CLOSE and LOG OUT - where did the import and other menu options go?

Have reinstatted Spotify a number of times and it makes no difference.  Using an iMAC with all up to date software.  Can you help please?

9 Replies

Drag and drop and import for local files is not supported in the new version.
Spotify plans to bring some features back, but it is currently not known if the feature you mentioned will be coming back.

You can still add local files to Spotify. Go into the settings and under "Local Files" you can import the source folder that contains the local files.

After you do that, the local files will appear in the "Local Files" section.

Find the song and then drag it over to a playlist.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for your comments.  Has this change just happened in the last couople of days as only two or three days ago all this was working for me?

A new version (1.0.1) has rolled out.

You can read the announcement about 1.0.1 here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Desktop-Update-Version-1-0-1/td-p/105026...

MattSudaSpotify Star

Super dumb question - but where is 'settings' located. I'm still not used to this update and I can't seem to place where that is. 

@romeothepirate 

Click the down arrow in the top right corner next to your username.

There will be a dropdown menu, click on settings

MattSudaSpotify Star

I completely agree with the drag & drop feature. I DJ from spotify for my events and it made the process that much easier.

Spotify - Please bring this back! You have a great user-friendly product but I've contemplated switching over to a new service due to loss of features.

Thank You

BRING IT BACK! 

I work as a musician with many aritists that are both well known and unknown. I make playlists that contain both spotify tunes and local files. 

I used to be able to make a playlist with any spotify songs AND drag whatever local files I wanted in there FROM WHEREVER I WANTED THEM TO LIVE ON MY HD. Now it seems Spotify wants to scan my whole HD (of scattered files in various folders) before I can add them to a playlist? Why the heck would you guys take the simpler appraoch away? It seriousy is messing with my previously streamlined workflow, and now requires messy workarounds that I don't have time for from a paid service.

I (and others) need the ability to drag local files into playlists. Don't remove used features!

Thanks.

-Udawggy

It sucks super big time. Now I must leave Spotify as my base for DJ:ing music!!!

I wonder if Apple Music will have the feature.

I had high hopes for Apple Music (a better option than Spotify and Spotify with Sonos which is so poor - i hoped) but now I have it, those hopes are fading fast… might have to put up with Spotify and the poor integration with Sonos still (over 50% of my music on Spotify wont play through Sonos - pathetic!)

Suggested posts