Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't download Spotify app to Mac desktop

Can't download Spotify app to Mac desktop

So for some reason, Spotify will not download onto my Mac desktop; below is all the things that I have tried and did not work:

• Clean re-install
  • Updated my Mac
  • cleared room in storage
  • Downloaded and tried the two different installments
  • Multiple re-starts

And every time, I always end up with the Spotify installer app bouncing on my dashboard, then it stops, and when I right-click it, it says, "Application not responding."

Is there anything else I could try?

Device

(Macbook Pro Mid-2015)

Operating System

(macOS Monterey)

18 Replies

Hi @MadCalgary!

Here's something you can try out:

1. Open Finder on your mac and click Go > Library (if you don't have hidden folders enabled, press the option key first and it should appear).
  2. Go to Cache, look for a folder that contains Spotify in its name and delete it.
  3. Reinstall the app.

In case the issue persists, feel free to share a short screen recording which shows what's happening on your end so we can have a direct look.

Keep us posted. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, i did these steps and i cannot download a thing. The symbol is there but no files are available in the folder...

Hey @zanareno,

Thanks for your reply in this thread.

In this case, can you let us know the exact troubleshooting you've tried? This way we can avoid suggesting repeated steps.

On another note, can you let us know the exact make/model and OS of your device?

Just to confirm, do you see that the Spotify app is installed on your computer and you can't open it? Or, do you see a file, but you can't install it? Please send us as much info as possible.

It'd be great if you send us a short video recording of what's happening, so we can better visualize what you're mentioning. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google drive and make them public, so we can watch them.

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi AlejaR,

I am having a problem on my macbook air 2020 on downloading the spotify app. Everytime I download it from the webstie on chrome, and then open the installed app it says something went wrong??

Do you know whats happening??

Hey @Pierce4860,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

Just to confirm, is this happening even if you change the internet connection you're using? It'd be awesome if you could check. If possible, you can create a hotspot from your phone. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

On another note, do you use a VPN on your computer? If yes, try disabling it to see if that makes any difference.

You might need to check for any local settings on your device that could be blocking the app. In case there's an antivirus software or such that could be restricting access to the app, try whitelisting Spotify.

Lastly, we understand you reinstall the app a couple of times. Can you confirm if you followed the steps in this article for a clean reinstall? If you haven't, we recommend following them, so you can delete all remaining files from the app. Then you can try one more time installing the app.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I have the same problem but my MacBook(late 2016) keeps saying unable to download

Hey @31l4afhfwk6mhpwb2xw5,

Thanks for your reply here and for the info shared. 

In this case, would you mind sending us the exact OS version you're running on the affected computer? You can check if your computer is running an OS supported version in this article

On another note, would you mind sharing with us the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? That way we can avoid repeating any steps.

Lastly, would you mind sending us a screenshot of the error you're seeing on your side?  Be aware this is a public space, so please don't share any personal info on the screenshot you'll send us.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

@AlejaR my Mac OS version is 12.6.8

Untitled copy.png

 I have tried multiple restarts and updating my Mac to the latest version

Hey @31l4afhfwk6mhpwb2xw5,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the shared info.

In this case, to make sure we covered all the basics, we'd recommend clearing any entries which contain Spotify from the host files on your computer. To do so, you can follow the instructions in this post (even if it's a different issue).

Also, would you mind confirming if this issue started after an OS update?

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

I don't understand the post. what does go > go to folder mean? what box?

no the problem was not after the update. I think it started when I made a guest account, downloaded Spotify then deleted the account with Spotify still downloaded. if that is a problem please tell me how to fix this.

Hi there @31l4afhfwk6mhpwb2xw5,

Thanks for the post.

I know clearing your hosts file can be a bit complicated. 'Go > Go to folder' means that you need to click on Go and after that click on 'Go to folder' and keep following the instructions until you open the hosts file. This is a text file with some lines written inside. If you find a line where it says 'Spotify' - delete it. 

If you can't do that, it's a good idea to check your hard drive and delete any old files related to Spotify before downloading the newest version. 

Note that the issue might be related to your browser, which is not allowing you to download the app, so it's a good idea to install another browser, like Google Chrome and download Spotify using that one. 

Regarding the new account and deleting the app, that's not very likely to be the issue causing this behavior.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

where is this go button

I figured it out and there are no Spotify files but it still does not let me download.

Hello,

Is there any update on this? I'm having the same error message: "a server with the specified hostname could not be found".

I followed the instructions of this post but the problem is still there.

Can someone please advise?

I HAD THE same issue. I downloaded an older SpotifyApp install and it worked. I guess the most recent one has major bugs.

Hi, today my Spotify app randomly undownloaded itself from my MacBook, I've never had any issues with Spotify on it  it for 4 years, and now when I try to redownload the app it says that I cannot download Spotify because the classic environment is no longer supported. 

what can I do to reinstall it please?

I have the same problem and your suggestions above don't work

Suggested posts