Can't open spotify because PowerPC application is no longer supported

Solved!
Highlighted

Can't open spotify because PowerPC application is no longer supported

Edited
Music Fan
‎2015-10-07 10:50 AM

Description of issue: When launching spotify I get this messageScreen Shot 2015-10-07 at 11.36.11.png

I installed El Capitan on the 1st of October, and spotify worked perfectly untill today.

What I've tried:

Tried to reinstall spotify. I deleted the application, the folder in library/application support and the cache in library called

com.spotify.client (Followed this guide: https://support.spotify.com/no/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify )

Device: MacBook pro 15" mid 2014

Operating system: OSX El Capitan version 10.11

Spotify account: Premium

Spotify version: The latest version you get from https://www.spotify.com/no/download/mac/

edit: The Spotify web player is working, but not the application.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
50 people liked this

Re: Can't open spotify because PowerPC application is no longer supported

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-10-19 10:24 AM

SOLVED! found another thread with solution.

Download from here instead: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg

To make it work, I had to move to trash the current app.

Empty the trash.

Copy the app from the .dmg to the desktop.

Open the app from the desktop, valid all first-time execution secure warnings, and test the app.

Close the app.

Move the desktop app (copied from the dmg) to the app folder.

21 people liked this

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-11-05 11:47 AM

To install, delete the existing Spotify.app from the main Applications folder.

Then open the spotify.dmg file you downloaded with the link above (i.e. http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg)

This will open the following window - do not use this to install - close the window!

Spotify Installer Screen

To install Spotify into the Applications folder, open up two new Finder windows (cmd-n in Finder):

1/ The Spotify drive that is now open from the dmg:

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 11.41.00.png

2/ Your main Applications folder.

Now drag the Spotify app from the Spotify drive into your Applications folder (i.e. copy the app across manually).

It should now work.

Each time I've tried the installer since OS X El Capitan it has installed the PowerPC version, which has driven me nuts, so I hope this helps a few others to get around this current issue, and I hope Spotify can fix whatever is causing this then we don't have to keep on with this workaround in the future.

Music Lover
‎2016-07-05 07:25 AM

Thanks so much! Your answer worked with a slight modification... I had to copy it to my desktop first and then into my applications folder and it worked straight away. I tired copying it across straight from the spotify drive like you said into applications but that didn't work so if anyone else is having a similar issue try copying to the desktop first! :D 

1 person liked this

Music Lover
‎2016-08-14 12:36 AM

Also had some problem out of the blue. Was even just using spotify the same morning. 

Anyways. Both of your solutions weren't working for me, but led me to the right solution. Maybe it's because the cache needs to be cleared. But spotify would not open if I put it in the applications folder. However if I played it off the desktop or even a custom folder it opened just fine. Not to discount your statements guys :) But just if anyone was continuing to have problems..

TL;DR; if you're still having problems, avoid the applications folder altogther. You should be able to drag spotify from the drive directly to your desktop. If it plays, you may try making a custom music folder to nest it in. 

44 Replies

Music Fan
‎2015-10-07 03:46 PM
Yeah, have the exactly same problem. Recently updted to El Capitan, then Spotift crashed same like you, hopefully someone will help us

thanks

Music Lover
‎2015-10-07 06:44 PM

ditto

Music Fan
‎2015-10-08 06:57 AM

Same boat...

Music Lover
‎2015-10-08 04:34 PM

same here

Music Fan
‎2015-10-18 11:32 AM

I have the same problem. I just haven't updated to el capitan or anything. I am using 10.8.5. since 18 month without any upgrades. 

The latest spotify version is use is 1.0.16.104.g3b776c9e. In my case it was not the mac version but only the newest spotify version causing those troubles. Are there any solutions yet?

Music Lover
‎2015-10-19 10:12 AM
Same here, worked with el captian until spotify wanted me to update the software, and now i can't open the application.. please fix!
50 people liked this

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-10-19 10:24 AM

SOLVED! found another thread with solution.

Download from here instead: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg

To make it work, I had to move to trash the current app.

Empty the trash.

Copy the app from the .dmg to the desktop.

Open the app from the desktop, valid all first-time execution secure warnings, and test the app.

Close the app.

Move the desktop app (copied from the dmg) to the app folder.

Music Lover
‎2015-10-19 05:24 PM

worked when launched from desktop, but when i moved it to the aplication folder got the same error... i had to create a separete folder in de HD only for spotify

21 people liked this

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-11-05 11:47 AM

To install, delete the existing Spotify.app from the main Applications folder.

Then open the spotify.dmg file you downloaded with the link above (i.e. http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg)

This will open the following window - do not use this to install - close the window!

Spotify Installer Screen

To install Spotify into the Applications folder, open up two new Finder windows (cmd-n in Finder):

1/ The Spotify drive that is now open from the dmg:

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 11.41.00.png

2/ Your main Applications folder.

Now drag the Spotify app from the Spotify drive into your Applications folder (i.e. copy the app across manually).

It should now work.

Each time I've tried the installer since OS X El Capitan it has installed the PowerPC version, which has driven me nuts, so I hope this helps a few others to get around this current issue, and I hope Spotify can fix whatever is causing this then we don't have to keep on with this workaround in the future.

SUGGESTED POSTS