Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play any track on Free account (works with Premium account though!)

Can't play any track on Free account (works with Premium account though!)

My work Macbook Pro will no longer play any tracks on my free account (and I've tried loads). It shows as playing but the play bar doesn't move (stays at 0:00) and after a while I get a message saying: 

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

I assumed this must be some sort of network issue but then discovered that using a Premium account (my Dad's) it plays just fine on the same Mac so it must be something to do with the free account and this Mac?  It also plays fine using my same free account on my Macbook Pro at home and on my Android phone.  Or on this Mac using the web browser version.

I've already tried - with no success:

• Changing all the settings to match those on the Premium account exactly
  • Completely uninstalling and reinstalling several times (inc. using AppCleaner as recommended on another thread)
  • Using a different account (as noted - Premium account which plays normally)

I'm using the following:

MacBook Pro 2015, 10.13.6 High Sierra OSX

Spotify Free account

Spotify version: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Any help much appreciated.

2 Replies

Turns out this was a random work network issue, which I eventually managed to resolve myself by switching from a Socks 4 to HTTP proxy.  It's weird that Premium accounts worked fine via the same proxy settings but not any Free account.  Any idea why that might be I'd be interested to hear.

Hey @davewomble.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. We're not yet sure if it's account related or not. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Suggested posts