Premium Family

Country

US

Devices

2 MacBook Pros

Operating System

High Sierra

My Question or Issue

If I have Spotify running on both my work and personal MacBook Pro's, I'm unable to play a song on either for more than a brief snippet. Whenever I click the play icon, I get about a half-second of audio, and then the track stops. If I shut down the application running on the other laptop, or put it in "disconnected" mode, then songs play as expected. This suggests there's some kind of communication between the two, or the Spotify server is getting confused about which app is "active".

Note that I am not trying to stream simultaneously -- I understand that if I try to stream a song through one device while another is already playing, then the first device will stop. I'm referring to streaming/playing a song while the other device is simply running the Spotify app.

Is this expected? It's very annoying to have to shut down Spotify whenever I switch laptops (which I do regularly)

2 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

I'd also recommend updating to macOS 10.14.6 🙂

Hope it helps.

I uninstalled, rebooted, and clean installed the latest Spotify app on both machines. I continue to see the same behavior.

I can't upgrade my personal laptop to Mojave until Apple and NVidia settle their pissing match and release a driver for 10.14, which is slim to hades-freezing-over.

Suggested posts