Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't stop autoplay! (bug?) My Play Queue - Next Up is populated even with autoplay turned off

Can't stop autoplay! (bug?) My Play Queue - Next Up is populated even with autoplay turned off

Plan - Premium

Country - NZ

Device - MacBook Pro 2019

Operating SystemMojave 10.14.6

Spotify for Mac - 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b (note, I just installed this in the last few weeks)

My Question or Issue

I have a question (possible bug?) regarding autoplay and the Next Up list being populated when it shouldn't be.

Actual behaviour
1. I have autoplay set to 'off' in Settings

2. I don't have anything queued up in my Play Queue

3. I go to a specific album (e.g. Stevie Wonder 'Talking Book') and click "add to queue"

4. My Play Queue - Next in Queue is correctly populated with 'Talking Book'

5. My Play Queue - Next Up is filled with heaps of other Stevie Wonder albums

6. If I remove them**, the list is repopulated with other songs that autoplay after the end of my album. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid when I turned off autoplay!

- **I have to do this manually, since the Clear button only applies to your formal queue, not the autopopulated Next Up list

Expected behaviour

Everything except 5 & 6.

If I queue up music, I want it to stop after the things I've queued! Not add an uncontrollable backlog that autoplays.

Does anyone know what the reason for this is?

Is there some setting that I'm missing somewhere? Did I accidentally enable some kind of 'play songs by artist' setting that overrides my no autoplay setting?

Or, to fix the problem, is there some way to disable the My Play Queue - Next Up section entirely?

I wasn't having this problem til recently! I really don't like autoplay 😞

I'm very grateful if someone can help.

Edited to add - I've searched the forum, and similar topics from the past suggest that you should reinstall. I only installed Spotify for the first time recently though (last few weeks)

1_autoplay_toggle_off.png
2_queue_up_album.png
3_my_play_queue_up_next.png
3 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, could you give the quick clean reinstall of the app another go? Just follow these steps.

Also, I'd also suggest to have the latest macOS version installed, macOS Catalina 10.15.3 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Hi there,

Since I posted before, I've

• Updated to Catalina 10.15.3
  • Done a clean reinstall of Spotify according to the link you posted.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (2019), Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76).

Spotify 1.1.28.721.g5b5ee660.

I've also restarted everything several times.

I'm still having the same problem. ☹️

I have autoplay turned off, but the 'Next Up' list is still populating. (see screenshot)

If I select all the songs and delete them, it will repopulate after a few minutes.

I've tried this a whole bunch of times, it's not a once-off.

I thought that turning off autoplay should prevent this exact situation! This is a big problem for me! Is there really no way to actually turn off autoplay?

I don't want to renew my subscription if this basic functionality is not working properly. Even YouTube gets this right ...

next_up.png

Is there some trick about queueing up music that I don't know?

I always just click the three-dot icon, then "Add to queue".

Suggested posts