NEXT STEP

Cannot add songs to collaborative playlist that I AM following

Cannot add songs to collaborative playlist that I AM following

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Macbook Pro late 2018 & Web (Google Chrome)

Operating System

macOS 10.15.5

My Question or Issue

My friend has a collaborative playlist that I have liked & followed but I am not given the option to add a song to that playlist. I have tried restarting the app, and have also tried on the web application on google chrome. Have double checked that the playlist says it is collaborative and have made sure that I AM following the playlist.

38 Replies

Hi @squonsh,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

In this case, everyone who clicks on the shared link within 24 hours can access the playlist as a collaborator. After that time, the link will either just redirect to the playlist if it's public or will show an error if it's a private one. In order to add more collaborators after 24 hours, a new link needs to be generated and sent.

Changing tunes, if the app is not detecting any internet network on your phone, we suggest creating a new thread in the relevant Help board (iPhone), including as much info as possible in order to check it further.

Remember the Community is here if anything else comes up. 

AndresMModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

It works on a phone but not on the desktop app. 

Hey @lougould99,

Thanks for posting.

Could you make sure you follow this guide to create a collaborative playlist and share editing rights with a separate link for every person? Keep in mind, that the links are valid only 24 hours.

Tell us also in more detail what are you experiencing on your end on the desktop app.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Having the same issue of being unable to add to the playlist despite the link being generated today. Same for both mobile and desktop app.

Hey @Ethan-Lee,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you share a video recording of the process of you opening the collaborator link and trying to add songs to the collaborative playlist?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Seeing this issue as well, specifically on the web client. I can add to it fine from my phone app, but it does not show up in the list of playlists to add to when I am on the web client.

Here is the issue displayed in the web app: https://youtu.be/N_c96_JSBNg
And here is adding to the same playlist in the mobile app: https://youtube.com/shorts/PhIX-XJGQnQ?feature=share

Hey @cebuckley1999,

Thanks for posting in the thread!
For the time being, it's not possible to add tracks to collaborative playlists from the Web Player. This option should only be available on mobile devices and the desktop app. 
Hope this clears things up a bit 🙂
Cheers!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

HI, I am having the same issue. I am following a friend that has created a list and added to my library. I can see and play the list but I can't add songs. I've tried it in both desktop apps for Mac and Windows without success. Thank you

Hi, also having the same issue - also tried the above suggestions, in the mobile and desktop apps and in browsers... no luck.

Hi, Any further suggestions here? It is not working for a few people in any format of Spotify App

Hey there,

Thanks for the posts.

Have you tried requesting a new invitation from the owner of the playlist?

It is also important, that the owner has set you as a collaborator and not a listener, could you make sure this is done?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hi All,

Thanks for this thread. I have tried restarting my phone & computer, as well as using Spotify on both desktop and web app, & I cannot add songs to a playlist on which I am a collaborator. I favorited the playlist, am following the creator, and have tried new links from the creator. I don't get an error when trying to add; the playlist is just not an option when I go to a song and select, "add to playlist", and the playlist is greyed out when I try to drag & drop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We just want to collectively shake our booties!

Hey @jennesseerosenberg,

Thanks for the reply.

It's important to try with the desktop app and not the web player. Another important thing to take care of is to make sure you're logged in on the same account on the web player and the desktop app, but open the link only from the desktop app. You can ask the owner of the playlist to send you multiple links so you can try it a few more times.

How did that go?

Cheers!

DianModerator

I'm using Spotify app on Android. I can't add songs to a collaborative playlist which I am following. The playlist is in my library, however it doesn't show up in the list of playlists when I try to add a track. Yesterday it worked without problems. I have restarted my phone as well as uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Kindly,

Nikodemus 

Hi @regneokin!

It's worth checking with the playlist owner to see if they've given you editing rights. You can also ask them to send you a new invite link. When you receive it, copy it and paste it into the app's Search bar instead to see if that does the trick. Alternatively, you can try opening the invite link through another device.

Note that editing collaborative playlists is not supported on the Web Player.

Keep us posted on this. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for your reply. The owner provided me with a new link, and all is good. 

What worked for me was switching acc, then back to your main acc, delete the playlist from your library and add it again.

Before, I followed the creator, so maybe do that as well....

I have the same problem, I can add songs to my collaborative playlist, but not to lists from other users... it is from desktop w10/w11, logged with facebook login, maybe can be that? not sure why it never worked....

Hello. I am having the same problem. I want to add to a shared playlist but Spotify won't let me. I have a premium account and I'm using the android app. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it but still no joy. It's been shared using an open.spotify url and everyone else in the group can add to it except me! When I try and add a song it only shows my own playlists that I've made. I can see the shared playlist. I can play it. But I can't add to it! It's driving me mad!!! Can anyone explain and give me the solution? 

Suggested posts