Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why was the queue moved to the right instead of the center?

Why was the queue moved to the right instead of the center?

My playlist queue used to be in the center column on the desktop app. Now it has moved to the right column and I really hate it there. How do I move it back to the center?
132 Replies

From what website did you download version 1.2.31.1205? Is it legit?

Hi,

Really appreciate the fact that you try to resolve the problem, but from your text it looks like you havent't read the comments properly. At least for me it's 100 % obvious what the issue is without any screen shots or other additional info. It's all there - just read the text!

Trying to summarize: Before the last update (1st of March?) the queue panel was located in the middle main panel. To the right was the now playing panel, that shows album artwork etc. This made it possible to see both the current queue and the details of the currently playing track.

But after the last update, the queue panel has been moved to the right panel, i.e. the same panel as the now playing details. This means that it's no longer possible to see both the queue and the details of the currently playing track - because they share the same panel and you have to switch between them. Meanwhile, the middle main panel shows whatever you've brought up there, but if you're not currently looking for something, reading artist details etc, then the middle panel just sits there doing nothing, i.e. being of zero use.

The old layout was a lot more useful 99 % of the time. We, who are complaining in this thread, all agree on this.

So, please revert the layout change - move the queue back to the main middle panel.

Looks like it's a new version. I have two computers and the other one still has the old version and layout. See attached screen dumps, where you can see where the queue appears in each version, and I have the about box open in both dumps so you can see the versions.

So, what we all want in this thread is to revert the change introduced in version 1.2.32.997.g4c6498b6 and revert to the way it was in version 1.2.29.605.g66a43ceb.

If this is a test shot by Spotify and the old layout is still available in latest version, but in som other release channel or variant, then please enable us, your (paying in my case) users to choose the old layout.

The new layout has no obvious benefit but it does have downsides. Revert. Please.

Spotify screen dump new layout.png
Spotify screen dump old layout.png

Spotify version

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.32.997.g4c6498b6

My Question or Issue

Near week ago user interface on desktop app for MacOS was changed. So, I cannot expand queue section (aka playing now list) to be full-width and show additional info like album or song length (now it's displaying just basic info like artist and track title).

Eternal__0-1709552573340.png

On web version it's working as expected:

Eternal__1-1709552590975.png

Could you please help - can I return back "wide" queue section as it was before? As current desktop implementation is not convenient for me.

Hi @Eternal_, thanks for writing.

That's odd - I also use the Apple desktop app and my current version is exactly the same as yours, but my queue is expanded.

Maybe you should try some basic troubleshooting, like logging out/back in, or even reinstalling the app to see if it helps.

Let me know how it goes!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Bittencourt 

Unfortunately it didn't help, I've already tried logging out and complete reinstall using this guide https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485

Same issue here! 

Help please! 

GIve me back now playing in the middle!

I am on Windows store version on Windows 10. Same problem. Big step backwards for Spotify...

Hey @p_salva@Eternal_ and @SOULESNE 

Spotify is always trying ways to improve the app and the user's experience. This means you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature to try temporarily.

The desktop and web player are getting a redesign to provide a richer listening experience with more context and make it easier for listeners to explore, browse, and organize their Spotify libraries.

I understand that not every change is convenient to all, so to make a suggestion or leave feedback, you can always go to the Ideas section.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am on web player until this is resolved.

I believe the latest update of the macos desktop app made it impossible to view the queue in the middle of the app and the now playing view to the right, at the same time. Am I right or am I missing something?

please bring the old queue back

My desktop app recently updated.  Looks like I got the new UI with the updated "now playing" on the right.  The problem is you can no longer view the playing queue while also viewing the artist view on the right.  It makes you choose and you only get one or the other, leaving the entire middle of the app completed wasted and useless during playback time.  Am I missing something?  It was working great when you had both views side by side.

so it seems they ignore our complaints...

they could at least allow to make the right part with the queue wider to show all track details like it used to be 😞

So not really a satisfactory solution, but...if you open Spotify in your browser and use the web player you will be able to display your queue in the middle.

Please show in the queue sidebar (which I hate too) if the song is already in your fav or not.  Makes it much easier to add ones that spotify suggests. 

TLDR: Stop trolling us Spotify and let us customize the UI. Now, please.

I've been using Spotify for a long time now (4-5+ years?), and I never needed to come to the forums until now for anything. But it seems this post details some of the latest changes that are extremely frustrating to me and it seems a lot of people that have similar tastes when it comes to the UI. So I had to activate my "forum account"(?) and post here.

I used to use Spotify set up so that the queue takes the middle area and the large album art and artist info take the right side space. Just like many others in this thread. And I remember I could have the recommended songs for a playlist at the bottom of the queue as well. And see the song length in queue.

Now I have to choose one of the two, on only the right side! And the size can barely be extended to 25% of horizontal space. This means that I'm wasting over half of my screen space with stuff that I *DON'T* want on my screen while I have my queue/playlist playing.

Until finding this thread I've wasted hours trying to find a setting that would restore the previous UI. Apparently Spotify just decided to randomly troll and infuriate people with this. And what's more, these changes seem to be account specific as I have this abysmal update on both my PCs I stream Spotify from, but my close friend doesn't have the same issue. Which means reinstalling doesn't fix it. And I can't unsubscribe from this change.

Ending rant:

Depending on how Spotify responds, I'm deliberating on whether I should just add my 5 cents to the pile and unsubscribe from Spotify for this or not. Maybe an overreaction, sure, but I don't see myself enjoying my playlists through Spotify if I can't customize the UI to my needs. Yes, I could download an old version like one person commented, but who really wants to use outdated versions of a Premium service? I'm a busy person and I don't have time to wait around and see when it is brought back so I can go back to current version again. Maybe a 3rd-party software to modify Spotify if a legal one exists? Haven't checked, but I've heard things. But nah, I'd rather just give Spotify a month or two max and if it's still this way, say "Sayonara" and use an alternative method to listen to music the way I want to.

It is truly **bleep**ed up that You, Spotify, would not allow the older view to be able to show when you put in this new, annoying feature.  Are you reading everyone's comments.  Just fix the damn thing.  Most (if not all) of these people are paying for premium like me.

Thanks - good to know.  So the web player has the old functionality which is better than the new.  Thanks!

Suggested posts